Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Unfair Bans

Advertisement Placeholder
I think the better question is, why was the person unfairly banned to begin with?

Can you improve the consistency of your moderation policies? Improve the consistency of negative "points" for the infraction? What moderator made the unfair ban and do they have a history of inconsistent bans?

Fixing a ban is easy. But improving your escalation and suspension policies is better.

It wasn't a ban at the time, but a restriction from a specific forum on the ZetaBoards Support forum from a member of staff many particularly despised. All I did was tell the user they will be able to use the CSS3 method in the foreseeable future and I was restricted from the general support forums for that. The staff member that restricted me sent me a particularly snobby, unprofessional PM about the ordeal. I complained to the upper staff management, but nothing was done about it because I think most people were intimidated by her. In the long run after that, I made many mistakes along the way to get what would probably be considered my revenge.

I would wonder what was the antecedent of getting banned unfairly. Why is it considered unfair. Has this member previously had several issues, and then the smallest infringement they were banned?

If a mod just went on a banning spree for no reason, then I would analyze if something was going on with the moderator with power to do this. This would include a warning to the moderator that did it. If there really was nothing that caused for this ban I would unban them. If something caused it, but it was deemed 'unfair' by the member, I would discuss why they were banned in the first place. Just because one thought it was unfair, doesn't mean it was unfair. I would consider their behavior and actions and may lessen the ban. Most of my bans that were not 100% banned forever were only 24-48 hour bans.

I was recently banned on a site I signed up and had posted a few times with some graphic tips in response to threads that asked questions. I had put my site's link in my profile account (where it's supposed to go) and I think that's why I got banned. I think because I have a promotion forum that they thought I was there to spam. I don't really know for sure and I don't plan to return there again.

I'm sure every ban ever issued 'felt right in the moment' to the person doing the banning even if in hindsight it was the wrong approach or the wrong tool for the job. Not everyone sees the world the same way and not everyone is equally reasonable about things.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds