Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Should bans be public?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.
I believe it should be based on the reason for ban. If the user is being banned for serious issues, we can make it public and let everyone know why a user is banned. For minor offense, discretion is a better approach.

I believe it should be based on the reason for ban. If the user is being banned for serious issues, we can make it public and let everyone know why a user is banned. For minor offense, discretion is a better approach.

The reason for the ban is a key point. When such person is being banned for a serious offense, making it public is the least of what should be done at that moment.

However, I also believe that ban should be a last option. If you start banning a lot of users, other users will become suspicious and might start becoming less active.

^ That's what nagged me with 'for minor offense' - bans should never be over something minor in the first place. Routine stuff like spammers/out of the gate trolls, sure.

In my 15+ years of admining/modding on sites, I've only maybe had to deal with 5 ban cases the maximum, maybe 3-5 suspensions max? Anyway, we normally let the person know over PM/DM what's going on and then we ban. We have a publicly stated rule "Public discussion of potential bans or suspensions are not allowed" to avoid potential drama from brewing on a site.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest