Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

The longest your hosting has been down for?

Shortie

Freelance Writer and Video Game Content Creator!
Retired Staff
Website
www.revillution.net
Credits
When it comes to hosting, we all like for it to be up and have no issues but in some cases, this is not always possible and you will sometimes find that your hosting may go down whether it be due to a small issue or even a big issue.

Just the last few days, the hosting I use was down for a considerable amount of time due to a fire damaging some of the equipment. We were kept in the loop on what was going on and they got everything back up and running as soon as they could.

What is the longest your hosting has been down for?

Just the last few days, the hosting I use was down for a considerable amount of time due to a fire damaging some of the equipment. We were kept in the loop on what was going on and they got everything back up and running as soon as they could.
That's a crazily long period of time - did they offer any compensation/apology?

The longest downtime I've had was pushing just last 24hrs which was enough to make me run away from shared hosting and never look back. Went onto a VPS after that and it was so much better - and never experienced downtime since.

I had an incident last year where the hosting company’s hosting provider (so, Siteground, using Google Cloud servers) turned off some servers to reduce heat during that big heatwave. That server was down in total for about 36 hours, and if I hadn’t intervened it would have remained so, but because I’m me and maintain a fleet of off-site backups (automated), I migrated them to new hosting and we were back up in about 4 hours.

I've left hosting services after the DC caught fire and nothing was backed up. Partially my fault for not backing things up on my end. But then they raised my rates, too, to pay for the new DC. I left after that.

I've been with DreamHost for a long time. They have downtime every now and then. But they're usually quick to get me back up and running.

That's a crazily long period of time - did they offer any compensation/apology?

The longest downtime I've had was pushing just last 24hrs which was enough to make me run away from shared hosting and never look back. Went onto a VPS after that and it was so much better - and never experienced downtime since.
They did not at least not so far but it was pretty much out of their hands as the power had to stay down whilst checks were done by the fire department for safety reasons which is quite understandable after a fire.

Maybe a few hours... I haven't had any very irritatingly long outages of several days!

I've left hosting services after the DC caught fire and nothing was backed up. Partially my fault for not backing things up on my end. But then they raised my rates, too, to pay for the new DC. I left after that.

I've been with DreamHost for a long time. They have downtime every now and then. But they're usually quick to get me back up and running.
OVH made a lot of mistakes over that.

And this simply emphasizes the need for personal off-site backups.
If Hetzner took a dump on itself tomorrow... I could be back up on another provider on all my sites in about an hour or so.

I recall whenever I opened my Mighty No. 9 forum on a free host called prophpbb, it went down for maybe a few hours just to fix a few things. Other than that I don't really recall any of my other hosts I've used throughout the years go down for a while, of course prophpbb was bought out by Tapatalk and they're no longer around. (This was long after I moved from free hosting to self hosting.)

I had hosting (in the past) that was down for a month, at the least. It was a DDOS attack. Sadly, I'm sure they lost a lot of customers. I don't think they were to blame, though.

I had hosting (in the past) that was down for a month, at the least. It was a DDOS attack. Sadly, I'm sure they lost a lot of customers. I don't think they were to blame, though.
Actually... a host that can't "deal" with a decent DDOS attack.. is not a host that you really want to deal with in todays day/age.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor