Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Temporary ban or permanent ban?

Credits
Which kind of banning option do you make use of in running of your forum? Do you think that making use of temporary ban is more effective and efficient than using a permanent ban?

I feel that making use of permanent ban is going to cause a big discouragement for members who are banned. But when they are banned on a temporary basis, they will be eager to come back.

What do you think?

Advertisement Placeholder
I also think that permanent ban will discourage members and will make them hopeless, it is better to ban users temporary, they will discover their mistakes and will not repeat them again.

The decision to ban someone should not be taken lightly, you should take a lot of things into consideration and the most important one is what mistake the user committed that earned him a ban. However, when you ban it should be a permanent ban, there is nothing sort of temporary ban.

The decision to ban someone should not be taken lightly, you should take a lot of things into consideration and the most important one is what mistake the user committed that earned him a ban. However, when you ban it should be a permanent ban, there is nothing sort of temporary ban.

Yeah, that's very correct. It is never going to be in the best interest of your community for you to be trigger happy when it comes to banning your members permanently. When there is a problem, it should be investigated thoroughly before a member should be banned.

I've not banned any of my forum members permanently nor have I banned any of them temporarily. All of my active forum members have been well behaved in the community. The only people I've banned are those who joined with only the intent to spam my forum.

I've not banned any of my forum members permanently nor have I banned any of them temporarily. All of my active forum members have been well behaved in the community. The only people I've banned are those who joined with only the intent to spam my forum.

It is very unfortunate that some community members will be doing something that is going to put the forum owners in a position where they will have no choice but to ban or suspend them. I don't think any community owner is very happy when they have been forced to ban their community members.

That depends purely on the reason for ban. If it was a light offense which caused disruption on the forum it is okay to be temporary. But if it is a huge offense, such as a life threat, identity theft, publicly displaying content of private messages with other forum members, refusing to listen to administrator or team members over and over, then permanent it is.

I also think that permanent ban will discourage members and will make them hopeless, it is better to ban users temporary, they will discover their mistakes and will not repeat them again.

The most important thing when it comes to giving a permanent ban to any of your community members is to make sure that whatever the person did deserves to be banned permanently for. When this is how things was carried out with the ban, I don't think any other member is going to be worried about it.

It depends on the severity of their actions and what they did. I have banned people outright for their actions before, but it doesn't always stop them. Sometimes they sign back up to make a fuss. Aside from that, I have done temp bans to users who acted up and wouldn't listen. Sometimes it worked, but if not I'd extend the ban each time. I gave them like 3 temp bands first and then a final ban when they continued.

Some users are banned for life, some are allowed back.

Permabans are sometimes necessary but I like to give people a fair shake before resorting to that. So long as they don't break the big rules that will issue them a permanent ban, I will allow 3 chances.

Which kind of banning option do you make use of in running of your forum? Do you think that making use of temporary ban is more effective and efficient than using a permanent ban?

I feel that making use of permanent ban is going to cause a big discouragement for members who are banned. But when they are banned on a temporary basis, they will be eager to come back.

What do you think?

It is always dependent on the offence that the said member committed. In a situation where they did something that deserve a permanent ban, I wouldn't hesitate in making use of the permanent ban feature as I feel that it is what is necessary at that particular point in time.

It is always dependent on the offence that the said member committed. In a situation where they did something that deserve a permanent ban, I wouldn't hesitate in making use of the permanent ban feature as I feel that it is what is necessary at that particular point in time.

There are some communities where the owner usually leaves an open door even for the members that have been banned permanently over a long period of time for about 2 years. Whenever such a person appeals for the ban to be removed, there are times those appeal are usually considered.

If someone is spreading bad rumors like saying I am a scam website then a permanent ban but if it is a small fault then it could be a temporary ban like advertise outside advertisement section means it depends.

If someone is spreading bad rumors like saying I am a scam website then a permanent ban but if it is a small fault then it could be a temporary ban like advertise outside advertisement section means it depends.

This is something that is very common with most paid to post website especially when the owner ends up disappearing without paying the members who have already worked on their website. It can never be stopped when it comes to those members going on several other platforms to declare that website owner as a scammer.

This is something that is very common with most paid to post website especially when the owner ends up disappearing without paying the members who have already worked on their website. It can never be stopped when it comes to those members going on several other platforms to declare that website owner as a scammer.
Sometimes this is not something true so not everytime the owner doesn't pay people but just a small delay in payment then people start saying it is scam website without verify.

Sometimes this is not something true so not everytime the owner doesn't pay people but just a small delay in payment then people start saying it is scam website without verify.

Yeah, that's very correct. Some people are very impatient when it comes to getting their payment and it is the reason why whenever payment is being delayed, they will assume that they have already been scammed. They will start spreading the negativity about the community online.

Yeah, that's very correct. Some people are very impatient when it comes to getting their payment and it is the reason why whenever payment is being delayed, they will assume that they have already been scammed. They will start spreading the negativity about the community online.
And then what says people is that the admin is paying people because there is an alert that he is a scammer and could lead to the closure of the community or the lose of important members and that happens most of the time.

And then what says people is that the admin is paying people because there is an alert that he is a scammer and could lead to the closure of the community or the lose of important members and that happens most of the time.

I believe that when it comes to running any paid posting website, the owner is supposed to be very honest with each member because it takes a lot of work for people to do this kind of job. Whenever you are having a challenge with their payment, it is better to say something about it on time so that they wouldn't be having any assumption on their own because this is something that affects the longevity of such communities.

I believe that when it comes to running any paid posting website, the owner is supposed to be very honest with each member because it takes a lot of work for people to do this kind of job. Whenever you are having a challenge with their payment, it is better to say something about it on time so that they wouldn't be having any assumption on their own because this is something that affects the longevity of such communities.
Sometimes there could be something that happens suddenly like for example an issue on the database of the website or for example an issue with a payment processor then payouts will be delayed a little bit from the normal schedule and then maybe the admin forgets to announce this due to the sudden work happening and then like the payout is expected the 4th of November then on 5th of November people starts saying scam platform and gets paid on the next day after resolve of the problem then the website has lost a lot of members in the middleware before making things clear.

Sometimes there could be something that happens suddenly like for example an issue on the database of the website or for example an issue with a payment processor then payouts will be delayed a little bit from the normal schedule and then maybe the admin forgets to announce this due to the sudden work happening and then like the payout is expected the 4th of November then on 5th of November people starts saying scam platform and gets paid on the next day after resolve of the problem then the website has lost a lot of members in the middleware before making things clear.

You have a very good point and it's true that forum members need to be calm a little bit whenever there seems to be an issue. Maybe after 48 hours and they didn't hear anything from the owner, they can start asking questions and not be in haste to label the owner a scammer.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds