Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🔍 SEO Insights Sub-domain or sub-directory

Discussing search engine optimization techniques and questions.

Timgab

Website
techtime.com.ng
Credits
Sub-domain and subdirectory are two different things in SEO. The choice between these two is a critical one for any website's SEO.

When it comes to site ranking, subdirectory is ranked along side with your main site. But on contrary sub-domain are been indexed and ranked differently from your main site.

What will be your choice?

For me I'll choose sub-directoy over the other.

I think subdomains can look really cool (like forum.domain.com) but they are usually not worth the hassle.

Beyond technical reasons a good domain should be easy to sound out if you are communicating it verbally, and a subdirectory structure tends to sound more familiar.

The minute you’re integrating two apps together, subdomains rapidly become the only viable choice.

Imagine for a moment you have WordPress at the top level. The minute you try to put any other app inside a subdirectory it is going to have all sorts of issues.

Now, it’s technically possible to get around this (if you’re me, you can even do things like having the / served by Python/Django and specific subfolders being complete PHP apps) but the level of fudging required soon becomes problematic.

Most applications and frameworks have no ability to even live correctly except as domain or subdomain.

Imagine for a moment you have WordPress at the top level. The minute you try to put any other app inside a subdirectory it is going to have all sorts of issues.
On this particular example, are the issues regarding permalinks/redirects? I have been using WP/XF interchangeably with this setup and not seen any issues, at least on the surface.

In my experience, it doesn't matter - WordPress's htaccess shenanigans generally interfere with anything in subdirectories because htaccess cascades downwards.

If you're solely on nginx, this may be better for you, but a lot of hosting out there is still Apache based where it tends to go to heck.

I had *years* of people doing what you're talking about, only WP + SMF, and it always ended poorly because WP would screw around with the request before it got to SMF.

Whatever you pick, for the love of god be consistent. I visit a site that has wiki.sitename and then sitename/forum and it bugs me to no end.

In my experience, it doesn't matter - WordPress's htaccess shenanigans generally interfere with anything in subdirectories because htaccess cascades downwards.

If you're solely on nginx, this may be better for you, but a lot of hosting out there is still Apache based where it tends to go to heck.

I had *years* of people doing what you're talking about, only WP + SMF, and it always ended poorly because WP would screw around with the request before it got to SMF.
I also see cookies mix across subdirectory sites, which is tempting but overall not a reliable data source to do anything serious with.

Depends how in control of that cookie you really are. I’ve certainly done things like bridging an SMF to MediaWiki using the cookies (though SMF let’s you be really fine grained about it, whether you want it to cross subdomains etc)

I wouldn't want a site based on a subdirectory, unless it was something on social media. Well, for instance, my main non-personal FB page is Facebook.com/(the name of the page). Anyway, you don't have a choice in that matter anyhow.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor