Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Quality Hosting - Is that what most go for?

Jason

Royal member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
If you're going to buy, why not get quality? I mean, why get something that breaks down? Anyway, though, it's not always the case everyone needs quality, but just enough. For instance, not everybody has some website that would need to handle a rush of thousands of visitors. Well, what might be other reasons where quality would make a difference?

Myself, I need quality above typical free hosting, but then again, free hosting might be better at some places. Anyway, what I have is a reseller hosting account, so that's equivalent to shared I think.

Because most people have no idea what 'quality' looks like, what 'quality' means or how to judge it in a hosting company.

Price is also really complex and not at all directly comparable.

Is a $5/month Digital Ocean droplet comparable to 2x $2.49/month Hostinger plans? Answer: there is no meaningful way to make that comparison.

There are so many factors to consider in something as complex as hosting.

1. How many sites can you host on the space you're given?
2. What are the limits on that hosting?
3. What configuration options do you have?
4. Can you add more software to the hosting or request configuration changes to elements that don't have a UI?
5. Can you send email direct from the server?
6. Is it possible the email will be from an IP range not in any of the usual block lists?
7. Are there backups?
8. How regular are the backups?
9. Do the backups *work*?
10. Can you get to the backups yourself?
11. How available is support?
12. Do they have any idea what they're doing?

There are more questions but these will do for now.

But the real underlying question is one of fundamentals: if hosting costs x per month, how many accounts must be there to afford a server, and to pay the amount of staff they have.

The minute the economics of hosting come into the debate, you realise that things are not trivial.

It wasn't that long ago that I was talking to a company about WordPress hosting and was given a quote for $1700 per month for hosting a not particularly big WP site. This was a WP-first company, that's pretty much all they do all day is WordPress and still, $1700/month was the plan their guy recommended to me after I spoke to their engineering team.

I should add, I used to work on a site whose hosting bill in AWS was routinely $12,500 per month. No, I didn't typo that.

Quality is relative. What is important to you in a host?

My new site runs on a fully dedicated server with tonnes of resources. Quality is very important. I haven't used free hosting in like 25 years. lol

The hosting I use has 100% NVMe SSD drives. I'm not really sure on how that makes things better, but I am not complaining about the reseller hosting package I have, the one where I host my sites. Well, a reseller package is like shared.

That means they're part of the fastest general class of storage on the market for servers. (Though some drives are faster than others, NVMe are all faster than, say, classical hard drives with platters and moving heads)

Means they'll be faster to load things from disk.

That means they're part of the fastest general class of storage on the market for servers. (Though some drives are faster than others, NVMe are all faster than, say, classical hard drives with platters and moving heads)

Means they'll be faster to load things from disk.
That's awesome. That's a good thing for me cause I have an affiliate program with them.

The hosting I use has 100% NVMe SSD drives. I'm not really sure on how that makes things better, but I am not complaining about the reseller hosting package I have, the one where I host my sites. Well, a reseller package is like shared.
It means much faster site load times, but, they are generally more expensive and have less space. My server has a 4TB HDD. The biggest NVMe they offer is like 500GB, maybe.

I also optimized my site, it's quite fast.

What size?

It means much faster site load times, but, they are generally more expensive and have less space. My server has a 4TB HDD. The biggest NVMe they offer is like 500GB, maybe.

I also optimized my site, it's quite fast.
4TB NVMe aren’t new, they’ve been around a while - but they’re not cheap. I’ve had a couple of 2TB NVMe’s in the last couple of years but I’m also at least a couple of speed generations behind now.

4TB NVMe aren’t new, they’ve been around a while - but they’re not cheap. I’ve had a couple of 2TB NVMe’s in the last couple of years but I’m also at least a couple of speed generations behind now.
I never even saw a 4TB NVMe for sale until the later half of last year on Amazon. I got mine for less than $200. :cool:

Honestly I feel like most go for cheaper deals, over quality. Of course that doesn't mean you can't find a host that fits your needs at cheaper prices. I know you get what you pay for, but I never had any issues with cheaper hosting. Free hosting is a completely different story though of course.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest