Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Photoshop or Illustrator?

shamzblueworld

Reputable member
Website
awebmastr.com
Credits
So which one do you prefer over the other and why? Also if you have used both, what are one's edges over the other one.
I recently read a review that said Illustrator is a bit better in overall than PS but yet PS is the most used one. What you say?

Advertisement Placeholder
It depends for what you're using the software. Illustrator is certainly better for creating vectors and drawing, but Photoshop is better when it comes to altering photos and designing layouts. I own both, but I hardly ever use Illustrator, because it's really complicated IMO.

I read a review which said that AI is actually better to make logos because if you resize them you wont lose the pixels and blur the image or get a bad result, a resized image will still look as stunningly clear as original, but thats not the case with PS.

I read a review which said that AI is actually better to make logos because if you resize them you wont lose the pixels and blur the image or get a bad result, a resized image will still look as stunningly clear as original, but thats not the case with PS.
Yep...I consider logos as vectors so that's why I didn't include them separately. Most "true" logo designers create logos within AI due to the fact you pointed out, but I personally don't. I'm almost never hired solely for the logo design job and I don't consider myself a "true" logo designer (nice pre-made font + some effects/some vector/icon ≠ "true" logo IMO).

For many years I would have said Photoshop, but with the movement towards flat design, vector graphics and responsive design, as well as a greater dependency on CSS for UI decorations that were once done with raster images created in Photoshop, I would say Ilustrator is gaining more momentum with me and others.

The other big problem I am running into now, is Photoshop is such a freaking memory hog, and when designing for high resolution displays it means you now have to have a ton of memory on your system to create high resolution graphics.

Illustrator on the other hand, doesn't get bogged down as much with memory problems simply because most of what you are working on in there are lightweight resolution-independent vector graphics.

Something else to consider is that SVG graphics open up a whole new door to interactivity that will eclipse anything that could have been done with raster graphics.

Adobe didn't create two applications that have the same function. Both Photoshop and Illustrator have different functions so it doesn't make sense to compare them to each other. Illustrator is for creating vector based graphics and that's it's main function. On the other hand Photoshop, like the name suggests, is more focused on Photo editing and retouching.

But that's not to say that it's their only function of course you can use them however you like. But for me, if I'm creating vector graphics I stick with Illustrator but if I'm dealing with photo's to be edited, sketching and drawing then I'd go for Photoshop. But like I said earlier, both applications have different functions so it's hard to choose one over the other so I tend to use both as a graphic design combo.

I'm old school - I still view Illustrator primarily for print, and PhotoShop for digital. I've been using PhotoShop since the mid-90s and Illustrator was definitely geared towards print-only in those days.

Touche to some of the comments above. I also find Illustrator complicated and less friendly than Photoshop. There's something more smooth and easy-to-navigate about Photoshop, that's why I prefer to use it for all graphic-related stuff. I use it to produce pic memes or clone rough edges.

I am falling more and more love with illustrator. I have for many years mainly used pixel editors when carrying my (admittedly not brilliant) designs. I rarely bothered photoshop as it was so so complicated and had so many odd functions and I used free ones mainly photo pos pro. Then I discovered vectors and although I struggle with the bending lines bit and swear a lot I have started with illustrator because if I figure a lot of what put me off with photoshop was I had learned other softwares way of doing things which made photoshop even more difficult even if it could do things other programs cant.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds