Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Namesilo domain registration price increase

Website
astrowhat.com
Credits
Just got an email in from NameSilo (moved almost all my domains over to CloudFlare already) letting me know that they were being "forced" to increase the .COM registrations to $17.49 a year for renewal or new registrations.
Now, for CloudFlare, I got the below notice:
On September 1 2024 .COM registrations/renewals/transfers will change from $9.77 to $10.44
That's a $7 difference... I've been slowly moving my domains over to CF, but think I'll speed it up somewhat now.

If you have many domains, I would suggest shopping around when it comes time for renewal. Even if you only have one, I still suggest that.
So far, CloudFlare has been about the cheapest reliable registrar I've come across.

Advertisement Placeholder
Cloudflare is nice but you are forced to use their nameservers.

Every place is updated the price to due to the tld owners .com/net

Namesilo pricing if in discount club which is free but you must use account funds

Retail Pricing:
.COM Registration/Renew: $17.29 USD
.COM Transfer: $11.95 USD
Discount Program Pricing (Registration and Renewal):

1 - 99 Domains: $11.05 USD
1 - 99 Domains: $11.05 USD
100 - 499 Domains: $11.00 USD
500 - 999 Domains: $10.95 USD
1000 - 2499 Domains: $10.90 USD
2500 - 4999 Domains: $10.85 USD
5000+ Domains: $10.80 USD

Cloudflare is nice but you are forced to use their nameservers.
I've had no issues using their nameservers, and their DNS is one of the quickest to propagate. NameSilo nameservers on the other hand have always been slower. It's why for the last several years that upon registering a domain with NameSilo (before moving totally over to CF) I would immediately transfer the DNS over to CF and away from NameSilo.
The only reason I can see an issue with using CloudFlare nameservers is if you are wanting to use custom ones for your domain... but then the question becomes why? I can think of only very few technical reasons, but performance and speed are not amongst them.
BTW, you CAN use vanity nameservers with CloudFlare also just in case you were interested.
With custom (or vanity) nameservers, a domain can use Cloudflare DNS without using Cloudflare-branded nameservers. For instance, you can configure ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com as nameservers for example.com.

To use custom nameservers, a zone must be using Cloudflare as Primary (Full setup) or Secondary DNS provider.

I used NameSilo for a long time. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to join a "special club" to get "normal pricing". That tells me quickly that joining that "special club" is of a financial benefit to NameSilo . Otherwise, why are they cutting the price that drastically? The fact that they want you to keep funds in their "on hand" account (a $50 minimum) means that they are drawing interest on it and you aren't.
The other end of the spectrum is that they are perfectly happy with screwing the everyday customer. This may also be part of it based upon their claim of
We are proud to announce that we are offering discounts on our already lowest everyday prices.
I'd personally rather shop at someplace that I don't have to do something special and/or set aside funds that are doing me no good to try to save money when I can buy it at the discounted price instantly elsewhere.

Hey desbest

On September 1, 2024 04:00 UTC, the central registry will be increasing their prices for .COM domains. Because of this, our prices will be updated as well. Please take a look at our new prices below:

.COM
  • Regular: $12.99
  • Bulk: $11.12
  • Super Bulk: $10.86
You can still register, renew, or transfer your domains to Dynadot with our current prices. The new prices will go into effect on September 1, 2024 04:00 UTC.

All the best,
Dynadot

2023 Regular: $9.99
2024 Regular: $12.99

The domain registry is forced to increase the base price that the domain registrar sets as their base price. In this case, Verisign is the registrar that controls pricing for all .com and .net domain names as a TLD.

Back in 2006, a .com domain name cost $8, ahem $7.99. Oh the memories!

Now is it daylight robbery and rent seeking behaviour, to compensate for America undergoing a recession and a flaggelling economy that's propped up with artificially inflated valuations of speculative value? Is it due to the emerging multi-polar world and the decline of the american rules based order? That's another topic for another time!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 12)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds