Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🌐 Domain Insights Google Domains is dead! Who is your registrar of choice now?

For discussions focused on choosing, using, and managing domain names.

Big Dan

Website
dantheman.me
Credits
I was an avid Google Domains user until they closed up shop and transferred domains under their management to Square Space. Google Domain's interface was nice and powerful. There were no scummy upsells for domain privacy or overloaded hosting, etc. It wasn't the cheapest registrar, but I never minded paying a couple dollars extra for a domain if it meant I didn't have to go through Go Daddy's endless upsells or adding crap to my cart with a new domain, or defaulting to 3 year registration instead of 1, etc.

I've been transferring my domains to Name Cheap as they come up for renewal. Name Cheap is pretty decent. They do have some scummy upsells like GoDaddy. Thankfully they aren't overly aggressive about it.

Who's your favorite registrar?

I've been transferring my domains to Name Cheap as they come up for renewal. Name Cheap is pretty decent. They do have some scummy upsells like GoDaddy.
I've been using NameSilo for over a decade and have been pleased with them. Their control panel isn't really that bad. They even gave advanced warning of the price increases which allowed me to renew several domains for a few more years at the lower price.
If I remember correctly, domain privacy with them is free.

Does anyone use 1and1? I used them as a registrar over 10 years ago. The control panel was a bit dated but got the job done. Back then their shared hosting was terrible for database powered sites.

Edit:
Apparently 1and1 no longer exists. 🙈

Does anyone use 1and1? I used them as a registrar over 10 years ago. The control panel was a bit dated but got the job done. Back then their shared hosting was terrible for database powered sites.

Edit:
Apparently 1and1 no longer exists. 🙈
1 and 1 is Ionos now, I use them for hosting and I love their hosting! Anyways to answer your question I always used Namecheap for my domain registrations. I did use 1 and 1 in the past though for my Mighty No 9 community.

I use Godaddy and the web hosting company where I've got my VPS on.
Used Namecheap multiple times before.

I buy most of my names on namecheap sometimes through my hosting if they offer me a deal but transfer them to namecheap for easier managing in the end.

I've been with GoDaddy since the dawn of time, lol.

Not really, I used to use Network Solutions. I think in the 90's they were the only registrar around.

I've been using Cloudflare for the last couple of years and have no issues. :)

Honestly I'm not a big fan of Google and their attempts to subjugate the entire internet. They made the most visited website in the world, their browser, their operating system (Chrome OS), their devices, their undersea internet cables. I don't think this is going to lead to anything good, so I'm even glad they decided to shut down their domain registration service.

Like most people here, I use Namecheap as my domain registrar. I use Jcink for my forum software, which the service suggests using for our boards, so I just went with it.

I didn't even realize Google had a domain service available originally.

I was with Google as my registrar until the announced sale of Google Domains assets to Squarespace early last year and have since switched to Cloudflare which I use for many other things from Cloudflare Pages to Cloudflare Zero Trust Tunnels.

Cloudflare is really crushing it these days and they’re moving in on everything from AWS to Tailscale. The scale, scope, and tight integration of their products is nearly unmatched. Bonus points for being the cheapest and most performant platform from object storage to functions (Workers). And of course no bandwidth charges on any of this, which can save a tremendous amount of money.

I was an avid Google Domains user until they closed up shop and transferred domains under their management to Square Space. Google Domain's interface was nice and powerful. There were no scummy upsells for domain privacy or overloaded hosting, etc. It wasn't the cheapest registrar, but I never minded paying a couple dollars extra for a domain if it meant I didn't have to go through Go Daddy's endless upsells or adding crap to my cart with a new domain, or defaulting to 3 year registration instead of 1, etc.

I've been transferring my domains to Name Cheap as they come up for renewal. Name Cheap is pretty decent. They do have some scummy upsells like GoDaddy. Thankfully they aren't overly aggressive about it.

Who's your favorite registrar?
I've been a fan of name silo they offer good deals with free privacy and cloudflare they offer great deals as well both are my favorite and have many years of personal experience with

Cloudflare is really crushing it these days
Just did some checking and each of my .COM domaisn is about $4 cheaper... so about to transfer several of them over from NameSilo to CloudFlare.

Namesilo for me, domain discount program low cost domains. Have used a bunch over the years.

I've been using NameSilo for over a decade and have been pleased with them. Their control panel isn't really that bad. They even gave advanced warning of the price increases which allowed me to renew several domains for a few more years at the lower price.
If I remember correctly, domain privacy with them is free.

I agree and have been with them for several years now myself.

Never used Google Domains, they were not available in my location. I have always used Namecheap.

Been using Hover for almost a decade now since I moved my domains from Godaddy. They have WhoIs privacy included with a majority of the TLD's sold.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor