Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Member asking to have account deleted

I agree with this, you don’t want to ruin the flow of conversations. Obviously some people have legit safety reasons but if they were in that situation, they’d probably edit it out themselves if they have the option or report it to have a mod edit it out. You’d think so anyway!
Yea, I don't have time limits on editing a post, so they could go in a year later and edit out the personal info if they want.

I have LiamW's "Member self delete" plugin which "deletes" the account by removing avatar, email, pw, personal details fields (get removed), and changes their username to "Deleted Acc #453453" (with a random number).

Advertisement Placeholder
Yea, I don't have time limits on editing a post, so they could go in a year later and edit out the personal info if they want.

I have LiamW's "Member self delete" plugin which "deletes" the account by removing avatar, email, pw, personal details fields (get removed), and changes their username to "Deleted Acc #453453" (with a random number).
That’s a good way of doing it and saves on administration without risking the flow of threads. I might look into that!

There is also a method to make sure GDPR has no saying in such thing.

All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

By submitting content to this website, you are granting Admin Junkies a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, license, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use the Service. Use of the Service constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

That’s a good way of doing it and saves on administration without risking the flow of threads. I might look into that!
And its basically 90% automated too! The member would have to know to remove the details they don't want saved in-post themselves, so its all up to them to remove what they want removed from in-post, but its less likely to break the flow of posts and threads.

I am writing up a thread that will be near the very top of the forums in an "Important Info" board with the details of how our automated acc deletion system goes.

There is also a method to make sure GDPR has no saying in such thing.

All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

By submitting content to this website, you are granting Admin Junkies a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, license, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use the Service. Use of the Service constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.
I could basically add that onto the privacy policy page in a new section at the bottom right?

;) I noticed it was apparently default in Terms? so yea.
Sorry, should've been more clear.

It is this part which is important:

Sorry, should've been more clear.

It is this part which is important:

Yea I bolded the same text you did in that sample.

That is true. But its better to be prepared, if possible, IMO.
That is also true. That’s why the TOU is already prepared for such matter. Anything you post on a forum, is property to the forum. It has always been that way. Don’t post anything personal you don’t want to post. Want something removed? Edit your post and delete it yourself.

That’s how I do it. 😃

That is true. But its better to be prepared, if possible, IMO.
Mine is fairly straighforward.

Account Deletion​

You may contact staff and request your account to be deleted. You will have a 3 day "cooling off" period before any action is taken. Your account will NOT be deleted, but your account information will be removed and all posts you have created with then be associated with a different name.

If you have posted personal information anywhere on the site, you need to specifically ask for it to be removed. We will not search through the site to find such information as once you post it, it is then public information.
That is why we have rule #7 in place.

Language and conduct​

1. Do not use obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or excessively violent language.
  2. Do not harass, insult, taunt, provoke, demean, or personally attack other forum members.
  3. Be friendly even if others are not.
  4. Do not excessively "bump" a thread (post simply to get a thread to the top of the list).
  5. Do not post copyrighted material unless you own the copyright.
  6. Link to content rather than posting it in its entirety, unless you are the copyright holder or have permission from the copyright holder.
  7. Don't post any sensitive information. Moderators will remove personal information from posts (when found or reported) to protect your privacy. Ultimately control of your personal information is yours. Simply don't post it in public settings

This was not always the case but when GDPR took place as a new rule we had so many people who just wanted their accounts closed and or removed. In my case, you have to do what it's right for them and yourself however you still have rules in place. I had one member that wanted to be removed, I allowed it but I gave that person time to think as I had seen so many left removed but months later they came back asking for their accounts back again, PEOPLE

I do allow it if requested however it's a soft removal for 30 days then fully removed and their content stays, I do not have their content removed, it is another name called guest. End of the day if they made 100 posts and they are good then why remove it, makes conversation in topics pointless.

This was not always the case but when GDPR took place as a new rule we had so many people who just wanted their accounts closed and or removed. In my case, you have to do what it's right for them and yourself however you still have rules in place. I had one member that wanted to be removed, I allowed it but I gave that person time to think as I had seen so many left removed but months later they came back asking for their accounts back again, PEOPLE

I do allow it if requested however it's a soft removal for 30 days then fully removed and their content stays, I do not have their content removed, it is another name called guest. End of the day if they made 100 posts and they are good then why remove it, makes conversation in topics pointless.
Yea, my option is fairly automated, and it anonymizes their posts. I give them a 15-day window with a 3-day email warning notice. Gives them time to change their mind if they want.

With the ability to retain user's posts, I think its good having the ability to delete accounts from sites. I would always honor a user's request, regardless to if it fell under GDPR/DP laws, or if they genuinely just wanted to leave.

As a user, I'd typically only ask for my account to be deleted if I didn't wish to be amongst toxic individuals, or those known as scammers and fraudsters in the past.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds