Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Maximum amount to spend

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
What's the biggest amount of money you're willing to spend on a theme or add-ons? This could be either in premade or custom. What do you think is a healthy maximum amount you'd spend?

All I'd have to spend money on is a design since I have coding skills to code said theme or add-on. If I were desperately in need of a custom design, I'd probably pay around $30 or so for design prints, or possibly more for a full image set.

I have been running blogs since 2015 and I haver never spent a single dime on themes and plugins. I started creating forums in 2017 and I have not spent any money on themes and add-ons. I work on a sustainable mode and keep my expenses low.

Being that I don't have a lot of money at the moment to throw into a theme for a forum I would opt for a free one for a while until I was able to make enough to invest in the forum and then purchase a theme. The only issue with purchasing things for a forum is that you would need to be sure that it would be a good investment before you do so.

Being that I don't have a lot of money at the moment to throw into a theme for a forum I would opt for a free one for a while until I was able to make enough to invest in the forum and then purchase a theme. The only issue with purchasing things for a forum is that you would need to be sure that it would be a good investment before you do so.
Would you ever want to start up something again @Shortie ?

I've spent $50 on a custom add-on in the past. It's been upgraded a few times. I really hope I can find someone to convert it to work on XF3 when the time comes.

Most I've spent on a single individual item? $120 for a logo by a designer. I've spent more than that on plugin collections and theme collections over the years but single item was $120.

But I've been known to do plugin development for people in the past, probably the single most expensive one I did for the learning management system Moodle; initial development costs were $30k and it was later debuted at the annual UK/IE Moodle conference and I think they finally made it open source? (That was part of the deal when I originally picked it up in 2017, anyway).

It's $30 that we managed to spend on the Theme used on RIF. There were some other expensive themes but the one's available for $30 wasn't bad.

The maximum I would be willing to go would be $40. I won't go past it.

I should also add, my company was given $25k to make a new WordPress theme to replace their existing theme plus dozens of plugins, propping up their WooCommerce store. We had to make it ready for Black Friday - the site couldn't cope before we got there, and they were on a 16GB VPS.

You'd be surprised what people will be paying for things when business is on the line.

I should also add, my company was given $25k to make a new WordPress theme to replace their existing theme plus dozens of plugins, propping up their WooCommerce store. We had to make it ready for Black Friday - the site couldn't cope before we got there, and they were on a 16GB VPS.

You'd be surprised what people will be paying for things when business is on the line.
Is that a custom designed theme or does that include premade/paid ones heavily customized?

They supplied the designs in Figma, we built it from scratch.

It was replacing a combination of Astra and Elementor. Average page time was 60-70 seconds, with 5000-7000 queries per page. By the time I was done, average page time was 1.2 seconds, with under 100 queries per page.

I typically spend a couple hundred dollars on forum design and coding and up to a few thousand dollars on a custom wordpress theme, but often times I am able to find a solid free theme and pay a couple hundred dollars for various customizations.

They supplied the designs in Figma, we built it from scratch.

It was replacing a combination of Astra and Elementor. Average page time was 60-70 seconds, with 5000-7000 queries per page. By the time I was done, average page time was 1.2 seconds, with under 100 queries per page.
Talk about improvement. For a company that is worth way more than 25k. Job well done.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest