Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🌐 Domain Insights List of Free Domain Registrars

For discussions focused on choosing, using, and managing domain names.
The problem with free domains is, like with everything else, if it's not adequately gatekept, it will be used for a tidal wave of sludge, which is why .info is basically worthless, why .tk is basically worthless - Google assumes that they're going to be sludge, so it starts by treating them as such.

The problem with free domains is, like with everything else, if it's not adequately gatekept, it will be used for a tidal wave of sludge, which is why .info is basically worthless, why .tk is basically worthless - Google assumes that they're going to be sludge, so it starts by treating them as such.
Yeah, but some people are just into websites for fun, not SEO or any other big dreams.

Sure, but almost anyone that makes a website even for fun cares about a) people finding them and b) Google not blocking out your site because the TLD got flagged as suspicious (as happened to .tk for a while)

Point a) is very tough when Google refuses to show the site to people.

Sure, but almost anyone that makes a website even for fun cares about a) people finding them and b) Google not blocking out your site because the TLD got flagged as suspicious (as happened to .tk for a while)

Point a) is very tough when Google refuses to show the site to people.
Takers need to be aware of it and know that they need their traffic outside of search engines, like via social media or something.

I know there's places where you can get a free subdomain, but as for free domain names you're better off either going with hosting that offers a free domain or simply just looking for deals on TLD to get the best price. I only used Freenom when I was first trying out self hosting, even if they were still around today I wouldn't recommend people using their service for a serious project.

I know there's places where you can get a free subdomain, but as for free domain names you're better off either going with hosting that offers a free domain or simply just looking for deals on TLD to get the best price. I only used Freenom when I was first trying out self hosting, even if they were still around today I wouldn't recommend people using their service for a serious project.
I liked the free domains. However, if they're done with, they need to say so on the site.

I can't believe .tk is still actively handed out for free. I remember using that back in 2003 or something. Crazy.

They will tell you that free domain doesn't affect, but truly it does if your taking the site to the next level. They should be use for testing and non important projects purpose only.

It was more that I felt it was misleading to suggest it’s a free domain when it’s actually only free for the first year (and the prices aren’t actually great, other registrars are cheaper)

Ionis.com has a one dollar .com deal for new users, but that's not free, of course and it's for the first year only. However, that's pretty sweet for a .com but the 2nd year prices might be more.

Ionis.com has a one dollar .com deal for new users, but that's not free, of course and it's for the first year only. However, that's pretty sweet for a .com but the 2nd year prices might be more.

Yep, you can always take advantage of special offers like that and then transfer the domain to a registrar with better renewal pricing before that second year comes around. I used to do that a lot back in the day. Not really worth the effort to me these days though. :p

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor