Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Limit guest views

Advertisement Placeholder
I see several pitfalls.

1. Put the threshold too low, and it will drive people away (or they'll figure out getting round it)
2. Put the threshold too high and the people who come by for a couple of topics will never see it and never be incentivised to stick around.
3. Depending on specific implementation this can limit or even entirely block search engines from crawling your entire site.

I think it depends on your end goal.

Gated content is practice that is still widely used today because it works. Most online newspapers use it and they retain customers still.

You have to have the kind of content that makes people want to join (or pay if you have a pay gate) or it won't work.

I think you really have to focus on great copywriting skills for the public view part.

If a forum is full of one liner topics, I'm going to log off after the gate comes up. If it has awesome content that makes me want to discuss it, you'll likely get a new member :cool:

I see several pitfalls.

1. Put the threshold too low, and it will drive people away (or they'll figure out getting round it)
2. Put the threshold too high and the people who come by for a couple of topics will never see it and never be incentivised to stick around.
3. Depending on specific implementation this can limit or even entirely block search engines from crawling your entire site.
The add on we had installed didn't block search engines, but I can't tell for sure, it's only what the dev told me.

To be honest I never actually saw the block here if there was one, but I probably didn't visit enough times before just deciding to join!

Forcing users to register after X attempts of visiting the board almost seems like those sites that try and make you view ads when you have them blocked, so it is kind of annoying overall. I don't tend to visit boards often that have such a feature enabled. If I truly wanted to register a site, I would do so on my own time and not let such a feature entice me to register for the sake of viewing more content.

You have to have the kind of content that makes people want to join (or pay if you have a pay gate) or it won't work.
This is it with actually having your forum guests turning out to register in your forum. If the kind of contents you have is something they can't get away from, they will most likely 95% register to have full access to everything.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds