Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Admin & Webmaster How to Sell VIP Memberships

Not a big fan of "VIP" memberships... for some "strange" reason, many of those that purchase those tend to think that they are "better" than those lowly normal users.
In NO way would I identify them as a VIP. I can see something like Site Supporter or such, to indicate that they may have paid for an add-on, but even then I think I'd simply give them the SAME Member designator as any other user, but maybe give their group style a somewhat different look. That way, they aren't on a "higher" playing field than those that may participate as much (if not more) than the paid member does, and those other members will not feel as badly denigrated since some of them simply can't afford to pay for multiple sites to get "bragging rights".
That's one reason I currently (and don't foresee in the future) having a paid subscription to my site. If we reach a size that subsidization is needed, then I will figure out a method for that.

Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of VIP memberships that segment features. @Tracy has listed pretty much all the reasons I don’t like them.

The only thing I’m okay with is a site supporter membership that has benefits like ad free browsing.

Reverie posted a new comment on the Article How to Sell VIP Memberships

I must agree VIP memberships are a great way to bring some exclusivity. It can support your forum in a sense of revenue if you offer the chance for people to spend money to buy the memberships, and can also help balance the costs of running a forum. I must agree though, you must be able to deliver.

The hardest thing is, trying to find new and different things more worthwhile to provide VIP members. I think it also depends on the niche of the forum as well.

Think there is a bug here.. trying to quote this post (in fact a specific point) and it does not show up on my Mac using Chrome, only what is above.

But... to further the discussion.. WAY too many times those with a "VIP" status tend/trend to think they are above the unwashed masses that haven't "paid their dues".

Think there is a bug here.. trying to quote this post (in fact a specific point) and it does not show up on my Mac using Chrome, only what is above. not sure if it's an AMS issue or something more core.

But... to further the discussion.. WAY too many times those with a "VIP" status tend/trend to think they are above the unwashed masses that haven't "paid their dues".
Odd. I've tried to replicate by hitting quote and reply and haven't seen it. I'll make note of it and see what we can do.

I do agree there have been times where those with that "VIP" status think they are above other users on the forum. I don't agree with that mentality at all. I think that's why having it become a purchasable thing where everyone can buy it if they want makes it a bit more fair. It's not just choice or favoritism anymore. That's what bothered me the most back in 2008ish, the same people were always in the "VIP" group, and there was never room for other people.

Odd. I've tried to replicate by hitting quote and reply and haven't seen it. I'll make note of it and see what we can do.

I do agree there have been times where those with that "VIP" status think they are above other users on the forum. I don't agree with that mentality at all. I think that's why having it become a purchasable thing where everyone can buy it if they want makes it a bit more fair. It's not just choice or favoritism anymore. That's what bothered me the most back in 2008ish, the same people were always in the "VIP" group, and there was never room for other people.
I don't know if was that specific post (don't know what route it was added from) or not... but this one I could actually quote. ;)
I don't mind having a "founding member" type group... but I'm not "into" a VIP tag. Letting users purchase "extras".. yep.. but purchasing such to show them "above" the regular user.. no way in hell.

I'd prefer a section for people to get special instruction (for my forum). It's not like some first class section of an airline. Anyway, though, I am not as harsh on this idea as the OP. I don't really care and I try not to be so sensitive about it. It's all just fun really and it's not hard for ordinary people to join the VIP by winning things, as I had done, or paying for it in some way.

VIP may give other people the impression they are missing out on something.. I would also suggests something like site supporter, or even premium membership, but not VIP

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds