Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How to keep people from stealing your forum images

Beverly

Renowned member
Credits
On one of my sites, I was constantly seeing a bandwidth spike on a particular image. It turns out someone had posted one of my photos on another forum and it was getting massive daily views. I changed the name of the image on my site and that cured the problem, causing any sites stealing the image to show a broken image.

Then, I started hosting all site images on photo sharing sites like tinypic so that if someone decided to hotlink to one of my images, it would not really cause a bandwidth spike.

What are some ideas you use to prevent people from hotlinking your forum or blog photos?

Advertisement Placeholder
This is a difficult one to be honest. Changing the file name works however after a while people would start hotlinking to the new image name meaning you would have to change it again. I guess using a free service like tinypic is one way to prevent any problems for you and your hosting. I am sure there is a way to be able to change the image or have a message displayed on the image if someone hotlinks however I would not know where to start on that.

It's pretty impossible to stop people from stealing your images. One way would be to change the file on say a monthly basis so that if anyone did hotlink the file name change would make it a broken image.

Here are some suggestions:
  • Disable hotlinking. There are plugins like Hotlink Protection or ByRev WPPICShield which allow you to stop external servers from linking to your files or even replace the hotlink with a message or warning. Or you can just simply edit the .htaccess file in your coding.
  • Watermarking your images. This is a good way for your site to gain popularity even from the image thieves' sites. You simply put your site's name as a watermark on the images. The larger it is, the better so the thief cannot crop it out. Most likely, thieves won't even bother cropping your watermark out.

Good luck!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds