Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How easy is the setting up of a Xenforo forum?

Sean Quinn

Reputable member
Website
thesqpost.wordpress.com
Credits
After i buy the XenForo forum software, does it just come in a download then i install / upload it onto my hosting and easy as that? or is there more to it? :p I haven't owned a XenForo forum before so not sure :p That said, i did used to work for the SEO Clerks for have experienced some of the back end, but never installed / set on up :p

Advertisement Placeholder
As far as I remember, I've only installed it once, it's a fairly easy procedure.

I think it's a matter of throwing your files on your web server and then navigating to the installation page for an easy graphics installation.

A lot like WordPress.

It's been a while since I've installed XenForo, but it's insanely easy.

I don't know if I remember all the details exactly, but you just download the ZIP file from your Client Area on XenForo.org, and then you upload the ZIP file to your root, or whatever folder your forum will be placed in. Once you do that, you will unzip the XenForo files, and then you should be able to access "/install" after that. Once you get to the installer, it does everything for you. It sets up the database in phpMyAdmin and all that good stuff for you.

It doesn't get any easier.

It' a simple folder you upload, navigate to the install path on your site and off you go. I remember I had and bit of a pain setting up my database connection though that was due to using a different version than recommended at the time. It's fairly straight forward, good luck :smiley:

You have to set up the username and database - simple stuff. Remember the give the user total power to do everything in the database when you add the user to the database. Finally, you simply upload the XF files via FTP and then give the user, database, and user password info when you start the installation. You start the installation by going to WebSiteNameHere.com/install/ or WebSiteNameHere.com/forum/install.

Note, I am assuming you are using cPanel here. To set up databases you need to go to MySQL Databases.

No matter how "automated" the install processes are don't forget to remove the install script! Even if it too automated that verifies that it had been completely been removed from your hosting account.

Leaving a install script on any of your scripts is like leaving the "self destruct button" open to anyone! :frowning:

No matter how "automated" the install processes are don't forget to remove the install script! Even if it too automated that verifies that it had been completely been removed from your hosting account.

Leaving a install script on any of your scripts is like leaving the "self destruct button" open to anyone! :frowning:

On XenForo, at least, leaving the install isn't much a danger. Instead, it simply shows a form for upgrading and that would be difficult to hack. I mean, who would know your password and username?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds