Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Staff Management How do you handle disloyalty amongst staff?

For topics on managing and supporting the forum's moderation team.

Henrywrites

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
There is this saying that in every 12, there is a Judas. When it comes to running a forum and being an admin, what would you do to a staff member that is showing signs of disloyalty? Do you confront them right away or wait to gather more evidence on what was happening?

Approach it early, but do it in a non confrontation way via a msg privately. You could even start by just reaching out and asking if everything is ok and do they have any issues or is everything ok in RL etc? Just checking in to see how your going and if everything is ok?

OR

If they are doing devious stuff for say another website you may want to get proof and more evidence before making a decision on what you want to do..

depends on the situation I guess and it really depends what you mean by disloyalty?

Leaking sensitive details to a friend group. Public and private subversion of administrative decisions. Slipping in new rules and practices and fighting dirty social games. These are cases I have seen and would imagine with this question.

Leakers are tricky. Of course many have to also be good workers, just their outlet is terrible for security, goes around the block (at worst spreading to banned members and fanning fires), and fuels us/them drama and the sort of cliques I've gone on about. You basically have to play the highschool game to deal with them short of just ripping them out when you're sure it's them, and weathering the inevitable storm. It helps to have a strong practice of non disclosure and a consistent approach. Rest on an ironclad case, it's the grey zones when they get zingers on the upper management that you really have a mess.

Now you can imagine I'm strong willed at times. I have no issue arguing with owners, including when I know they have a trigger finger. There are distinctions. In public the line of subversion is crossed when you have a member representing the site being rude, directly contradictory, 'no you're wrong this is how it should be', and so on. I firmly believe in staff sticking together, it helps in matters of point 1. By all means disagree, but if it is public be civil, remember your position and consider if your grind is better off dealt with in private. Failure to do this is when you have a problem. If reminders and a sitdown doesn't work then maybe it's time to let them go. I set a higher bar for this in private but again, you can cross a line where the criticism is downright disrespectful, seriously degrades the image of people who are just trying to make things work, and causes constant stress because argument after argument. Invariably this also requires a sitdown and if that doesn't do it then it's probably time to go.

Sometimes you get a very promising person who you decide to promote because they clearly know their stuff, and they do. But you haven't realized their vision is very different from yours. They implement things their own way, it may contradict you. This can be more blurry, they may believe they're doing right and aren't intending to subvert you, they aren't actually disloyal. Ideally the staff area has a blurb that makes boundaries and agency clear so this is nipped from the getgo, on top of a nice chat and maybe a little q&a. Having an idea of what they want to see before they go on board is good. If it still happens perhaps a sitdown and reminders will do it. But eventually you might realize it's not going well and it is again time to part ways.

In all these cases you are best served when you've kept your administration clear and coherent. You avoid giving ammunition in public and in private. People are not working with misconceptions, boundaries are known, ground rules are set. Give the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind, even be willing to compromise on behalf of someone who really does help, but be prepared to make a tough choice when it's clear what the staffer wants does not line up. You need to think of a line and set it because giving them leeway can run out of hand and give them ammunition instead.

And try not to let large portions of the site exist on the back of very few people. This is a general principle but if you have a fickle or strong willed staffer running something important, making all the art hosted on their external site whatever, and then oops it doesn't work out, you're screwed. Resiliency is key. You need to expand and contract based on what can be supported now, and have contingency if you have less to work with later. I think it's poignant to mention here because again, some of the hardest workers can also have the widest range in attitude, culminating in blowouts that are magnified by their contributions to the forum if not carefully kept in mind.

Approach it early, but do it in a non confrontation way via a msg privately. You could even start by just reaching out and asking if everything is ok and do they have any issues or is everything ok in RL etc? Just checking in to see how your going and if everything is ok?

OR

If they are doing devious stuff for say another website you may want to get proof and more evidence before making a decision on what you want to do..

depends on the situation I guess and it really depends what you mean by disloyalty?
This. Keeping it friendly is key. Remember your staff are volunteers as these are not typically paid positions.

If they’re paid it’s a different ball game altogether. Still though, politeness is key. You wouldn’t like to be yelled at by your boss, surely?

Be as nice as you can and then demote them. I think that if you don't like the admin you volunteered to work under or if it's not working out, do the right thing and step down. Walk away. I've stepped down on two or three different forums where I didn't like the owner or I felt our differences out weighed my desire to continue staffing for them.

Be as nice as you can and then demote them. I think that if you don't like the admin you volunteered to work under or if it's not working out, do the right thing and step down. Walk away. I've stepped down on two or three different forums where I didn't like the owner or I felt our differences out weighed my desire to continue staffing for them.
Agreed, and don’t make a scene or you’ll look be known as the bad guy. Gossipers or bad mouthers tend to get labelled troublemakers, fairly or unfairly.

As long as I have concrete proof about the disloyalty of my staff member and not a hearsay, I'll tackle it immediately by calling the staff out. I wouldn't even mind doing it openly in a staff meeting involving everyone for others to contribute.

In end, I can't be able to work with such a person again. I'll definitely have to let him go.

I'd go out of my way to confront them on whatever it was that they shown disloyalty for. I would talk to them and let them know that if the problem continues then I will have to demote/ban them. However, if they sabotaged the site I will just immediately demote and even potentially ban them as well. I've had a issue with this in the past where I made the mistake of hiring someone I didn't know to be a co admin and she ended up deleting all my themes that I had installed. Thankfully it didn't take much to install the main theme I had and add the graphics again. Still I know better not to hire random people you don't know much about lol.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest