Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How did you learn?

JennyorAlice

Renowned member
Credits
How and when did you learn coding? Are you self taught or did someone else teach you?

How and when did you learn coding? Are you self taught or did someone else teach you?
Honestly, even if you attend university for Programming. No one can "teach" another to code. They can help you to understand certain aspects of it but in the end it's up to that person to learn it, to understand it, in a way that is productive for them.

I am "mostly" self taught as are a lot of other people in the open source world. Sometimes it is a good thing. Some times not so much. It all comes down to that individuals commitment to learn the "right" way. To learn about and use best practice which admittedly changes over time. Programming is a discipline where the number 1 requirement is a desire to learn and improve. If you do not find that reward enough to make the journey then programming is most likely not the right field for you.

It was trial and error from what I learned. I originally started messing with coding on Invisionfree forums, but mostly the styles were ready and I could just copy and paste them. Minor tweaks only and that luckily was easy enough for me to figure out. I also started on Myspace and used a generator to kind of help teach myself!

Zetaboards and the extra codes became to get advanced, I loved messing with it on trials boards and seeing what it would do! I'm quite outdated on what I know though so I'm sure there is more for me to learn.

Start off with a WebTV in the mid-90's and learned HTML. As the web developed, many program languages advanced faster than I could learn them. But I've managed to read and understand a lot of CGI/Perl and PHP and CSS over the years just by messing with free scripts, etc. I can usually find a way to manipulate something to do what I want it to, but it probably takes me days compare to someone who is "literate" in coding.

I taught myself everything I know. I did try the college route for a while but that really didn't pan out. Honesty I started coding back in the early 00s when I started my first graphic design website. a few friends and I got into coding together and started our own little anime network of sites. back then HTML was brutal.

I was mostly self-taught with some guidance along the way. I would ask some known coders specific questions off and on about coding. I mainly started getting the hang of JavaScript when I started using jQuery. HTML/CSS kind of came naturally to me eventually. I tried taking a college course in Python, but I realized it wasn't the path I necessarily wanted to take and dropped out.

I learned coding through forums. When I first started creating forums, I would play around with MyBB templates and CSS and I really enjoyed it. That inspired me to study Computer Science at school and eventually do a degree in it! :p

I started coding 15 years ago. I wanted to know everythings works and I wanted to create something new. To be honest, there wasn anything new as I started learning. But now Im able to create new programms :)
waht about you?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor