Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

*HIRING STAFF* *HIRING STAFF* *STAFF NEEDED* *APPLY NOW*

dahLabdo

Listens to Taylor Swift
Website
sin-studios.com
Credits
So, that is more than likely a title you're familiar with seeing from time to time. Okay, probably not as exaggerated (I hope) but you get the idea.

What's your point of view on those whom open a forum and they've got 3 members registered, all of which are already Super Moderators or Administrators.

I think it's quite unappealing personally. I question the owner's mindset because he's hiring people whom he probably doesn't know that well (READ: ONLY JOINED TO BECOME A MOD), creating a potential problem with abuse.

Let me know your thoughts.

As someone who has a newly created forum, my co-owner and I decided from the onset to hire staff, including both moderators, service team members and managers. We have HUGE plans for the place because it's not simply a forum, but also a business that offers services to websites (and not only forums). We needed others to help out with writing things, planning, organizing, etc. That's the reason behind the need for more people behind the scenes.

In the old forum days this is how it was ran. Before you opened the forum you had a full staff team typically. Not saying it was the best route or a bad route either, but this is definitely something I was used to. Typically we would have a semi-full staff, along with a few premium members who would start posting around before official openings.

As forums are today - I see them open. I see that often they have to appeal to people to want to work there. I understand not wanting to open without one or two staff members though. Now if the webmaster has only hired people from these similar topics and didn't vet them - that can get weird because they won't have that working relationship yet. Having a "prepared" staff though is important for some types of forums because of services that might be needed and etc.

Typically people create a "hire me" thread and give details on why they would be a good fit on a forum. If a potential admin/webmaster was to hire them hopefully they would be a good fit for the forum. I understand your standpoint though - will they actually be dedicated members, or did they just want the staff role? Regardless a person who truly wants to be staff will also typically be a good experience on a forum, at least for a while. They may not end up being long term staff members, but they will do good while they are there at the beginning. Once more members join they may retire and other members who are dedicated may step into their place as a staff member.

As someone who has a newly created forum, my co-owner and I decided from the onset to hire staff, including both moderators, service team members and managers. We have HUGE plans for the place because it's not simply a forum, but also a business that offers services to websites (and not only forums). We needed others to help out with writing things, planning, organizing, etc. That's the reason behind the need for more people behind the scenes.
I understand those reasonings, if you are producing a lot of content and you need a variety of roles filled - that's reasonable to see a lot of people in roles that are not just in the registered role. That wouldn't stop me at all from registering to your forum at all.

I am not sure but for me, there is an obvious "feeling" to the forum whereby you can tell that the only reason they're offering such positions is because it will be the only way they can get people on their forum to begin with.

In the old forum days this is how it was ran. Before you opened the forum you had a full staff team typically. Not saying it was the best route or a bad route either, but this is definitely something I was used to. Typically we would have a semi-full staff, along with a few premium members who would start posting around before official openings.

As forums are today - I see them open. I see that often they have to appeal to people to want to work there. I understand not wanting to open without one or two staff members though. Now if the webmaster has only hired people from these similar topics and didn't vet them - that can get weird because they won't have that working relationship yet. Having a "prepared" staff though is important for some types of forums because of services that might be needed and etc.

Typically people create a "hire me" thread and give details on why they would be a good fit on a forum. If a potential admin/webmaster was to hire them hopefully they would be a good fit for the forum. I understand your standpoint though - will they actually be dedicated members, or did they just want the staff role? Regardless a person who truly wants to be staff will also typically be a good experience on a forum, at least for a while. They may not end up being long term staff members, but they will do good while they are there at the beginning. Once more members join they may retire and other members who are dedicated may step into their place as a staff member.
I am definitely referring to the old forum times myself haha. It's something I've not seen too often at the moment I must admit.

I am not familiar with these behind the scenes hiring threads that you talk of where people are vetted somewhat - I'm sure they exist but from my memory, I've not seen many if any at all. I am more referring to communities that have opened and they are using "hiring staff" as encouragement for people to join. These never end well and they also die very shortly after their launch because they nobody is buying their VIP packages they bargained on people (like the wannabe staff members) buying.

I agree, some cases people do need staff because they've either received an influx of people or they have massive plans like the post above.

I am definitely referring to the old forum times myself haha. It's something I've not seen too often at the moment I must admit.

I am not familiar with these behind the scenes hiring threads that you talk of where people are vetted somewhat - I'm sure they exist but from my memory, I've not seen many if any at all. I am more referring to communities that have opened and they are using "hiring staff" as encouragement for people to join. These never end well and they also die very shortly after their launch because they nobody is buying their VIP packages they bargained on people (like the wannabe staff members) buying.

I agree, some cases people do need staff because they've either received an influx of people or they have massive plans like the post above.
So on forums similar to Admin Junkies there is areas such as "Hire me!!!" and there are also threads for "Now hiring staff". Typically administrators would make a now hiring thread, but also look through the ones where people would like to be staff at a forum. That was more so what I was meaning. Regardless, people interested would then get messaged/added on instant messenger to allow them to talk and see if they were a good fit.

I do understand what you were meaning though where they open and have a thread "NOW HIRING" and people just join to be staff, but regardless, that's possible how it would work either way with the threads on forums like this, or if it is on the forum already. I did always get a bit annoyed when people just joined and stated "Can I be staff now?" lol... Those days were a bit obnoxious.

So on forums similar to Admin Junkies there is areas such as "Hire me!!!" and there are also threads for "Now hiring staff". Typically administrators would make a now hiring thread, but also look through the ones where people would like to be staff at a forum. That was more so what I was meaning. Regardless, people interested would then get messaged/added on instant messenger to allow them to talk and see if they were a good fit.

I do understand what you were meaning though where they open and have a thread "NOW HIRING" and people just join to be staff, but regardless, that's possible how it would work either way with the threads on forums like this, or if it is on the forum already. I did always get a bit annoyed when people just joined and stated "Can I be staff now?" lol... Those days were a bit obnoxious.
YES! You would have them join and instantly be like "can I be staff" and you'll say "we're not hiring right now" and they'll disappear haha.

Oh yes, I know what you're referring to now! It's an interesting dynamic because normally people tend to hire from the inside rather then out. A good member on the forum can either apply for a mod position or will be asked if they want to be mod. My back always goes up because of experience when I see "SITE NEWLY LAUNCHED HIRING STAFF NOW"

YES! You would have them join and instantly be like "can I be staff" and you'll say "we're not hiring right now" and they'll disappear haha.

Oh yes, I know what you're referring to now! It's an interesting dynamic because normally people tend to hire from the inside rather then out. A good member on the forum can either apply for a mod position or will be asked if they want to be mod. My back always goes up because of experience when I see "SITE NEWLY LAUNCHED HIRING STAFF NOW"
Exactly! Mine would often stick around another week trying to show they'd be great staff.... Then they'd disappear like always.

If a forum is established enough to hire from inside - that is always a better mindset because they will have more time in the forum and understand how the forum already runs generally. I don't like bringing people from outside the forum to become staff in that scenario. As a new forum administrator, the goal is to get friends to join in of course - but if you don't really have friends or connections then you'll likely have to hire from outside of the forum at the beginning at least. I guess it also depends on the niche.

Exactly! Mine would often stick around another week trying to show they'd be great staff.... Then they'd disappear like always.

If a forum is established enough to hire from inside - that is always a better mindset because they will have more time in the forum and understand how the forum already runs generally. I don't like bringing people from outside the forum to become staff in that scenario. As a new forum administrator, the goal is to get friends to join in of course - but if you don't really have friends or connections then you'll likely have to hire from outside of the forum at the beginning at least. I guess it also depends on the niche.
You're completely right. Having friends you know you work well with become staff is a winner winner chicken dinner option.

Half of the battle finding staff is getting people on the same mindset. Someone who has the same goals and wants to achieve greatness.

I think it is odd for a forum to have nothing but staff members on the board. Rule of thumb, if your community is brand new then you should be the only staff unless it's a forum that offers services, then you can have different staff teams. Not everyone on the forum should be staff. You also should hire trusted people to be staff.

I always started boards alone and only took on staff when it was shown to me that it was time to hire people. I never dealt with applications as I actively knew my community well and knew who I would be willing to give a moderator position too and would be happy to have on the team if they wanted it. I was always fortunate to have plenty of good people who always made excellent staff.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest