Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Have you ever used IPB?

Sharon

Recognized member
Credits
From my experience it is not as popular as other Forum Software out there or at least it isn't talked about as much as others on forum communities I visit. I came across this link that feature many popular forums that run on IPB: http://www.forumrankings.net/software/invision-power-board. Just with any forum software I think the ease of installing third party plugins are important. Also, the ability to customize the forum is critical. I've personally never used IPB but I wonder if it's worth looking deeper into. Have you ever used IPB? What do you think of the software?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have never used IPB as an administrator, but I have been a member of plenty of IPB forums. Personally, I think it is right up at the top of the list of forum software. If it's not the best, it's the second best. I'd say that IPB and XenForo are interchangeable for the #1 spot. I am a big fan of IPB, but I don't like that you have to renew it every six months to continue to download updates and receive support. XenForo only makes you renew once a year.

I had an IPB license and to be honest it wasn't that impressive. No features really made me want to use it, so I sold the license.

most of the features IPB offers can be found in XF or VB, plus the cost of IPB is alittle higher then the softwares I just mentioned, so I never plan on purchasing IPB until they prove to be the frontrunner or come up with more advanced features that make the cost/benefit worth it!

From what I have seen of IPB 4 it will give Xenforo a run for their money though.
How so? IPB 4 is even more expensive than IPB 3 and it doesn't seem to bring any spectacular improvements from its previous version. Some might argue that the design looks worse than that of IPB 3.

From my experience it is not as popular as other Forum Software out there or at least it isn't talked about as much as others on forum communities I visit. I came across this link that feature many popular forums that run on IPB: http://www.forumrankings.net/software/invision-power-board. Just with any forum software I think the ease of installing third party plugins are important. Also, the ability to customize the forum is critical. I've personally never used IPB but I wonder if it's worth looking deeper into. Have you ever used IPB? What do you think of the software?

IPB is my second favorite software.
XenForo > IPB > MyBB > vBulletin

I really like IPB because the backend is easy to understand and there are enough settings to cover almost everything. There is also a huge database of plugins/mods and themes, so that makes IPB very attractive too. IPB is pretty pricey, just like other paid forum softwares, but pays off with efficiency and good support.

I have never used IPB as an administrator, but I have been a member of plenty of IPB forums. Personally, I think it is right up at the top of the list of forum software. If it's not the best, it's the second best. I'd say that IPB and XenForo are interchangeable for the #1 spot. I am a big fan of IPB, but I don't like that you have to renew it every six months to continue to download updates and receive support. XenForo only makes you renew once a year.

That whole "paying every 6 months" thing is kind of odd to hear about.
If we're simply comparing forum to forum......

Technically a year's worth(2 6 month renewals) for IP Board is only literally $10 more than Xenforo's one year at $40 renewal.
That's how I look at it.

Yeah you pay twice but it isn't like it is a high price either.

If people also hate the idea of paying 'twice'...then simply add money to your IPS account and let it deduct from there. You only technically paid once ;)

I use IPB(And Xenforo, sadly) interchangeably with my forum. IPB is more or less the best but unfortunately it simply doesn't get the recognition it deserves personally.

I used it a few times when I first started out but I always found it to be the more complicated forum software to use as an admin and never really bothered with it after that. I know my boyfriend prefers to use it over some forum software as he likes the features it has and is also used to using this kind of software.

In my opinion, IPB isn't worth the price. I'm always going to advocate using XF because it has one of the best forum functionalities.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds