Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Has a manager ever tried to hire someone you didn't want hired?

It depends on the level of company the workers recruitment is being carried out that you may see politics being played with whom is picked for employment. It's something that common in government jobs where they give quota to those employing. If it's a private business, it hardly happens.

I have always believed that a company will never hire an unskillful person until or unless the management has been influenced by someone, especially by someone who holds much power in the company. This is why merit should be considered when it comes to hiring the right kind of person.

Advertisement Placeholder
I have always believed that a company will never hire an unskillful person until or unless the management has been influenced by someone, especially by someone who holds much power in the company. This is why merit should be considered when it comes to hiring the right kind of person.
If there's no corruption in the recruitment team, they wouldn't hire anyone who's isn't skillful and qualified to take over the position they want to recruit for. The staffs working for a company should be what the company needs and not what the corrupt team wants after taking bribe.

If there's no corruption in the recruitment team, they wouldn't hire anyone who's isn't skillful and qualified to take over the position they want to recruit for. The staffs working for a company should be what the company needs and not what the corrupt team wants after taking bribe.

I feel that such situations always show that there is some issues in the company. The boss is expected to work hand in hand with the Human resource personnel when it comes to recruitment process. The right profile should always be hired after going through the interviews too.

I feel that such situations always show that there is some issues in the company. The boss is expected to work hand in hand with the Human resource personnel when it comes to recruitment process. The right profile should always be hired after going through the interviews too.
This is not the case in some companies and it's why they hire round pegs and put them in a square hole. Why will you see a graduate who read biochemistry in the university but is working as a bank manager?

This is not the case in some companies and it's why they hire round pegs and put them in a square hole. Why will you see a graduate who read biochemistry in the university but is working as a bank manager?

It's strange and I am still trying to understand why some companies will want to make certain decisions based on emotions alone. When you see that someone is not fit for a particular role, why not seek for someone that can be able to handle this job as expected? Unless you are sure that they are the type that can learn fast while on the job.

Well, favouritism and personal preferences is a quite common thing in many business. This is something that we could find in many big business organisations as well. However, this thing might be quite more common in certain companies. This could be avoided if the higher-level management creates rules related to this. But this cannot be eliminated completely.

Well, favouritism and personal preferences is a quite common thing in many business. This is something that we could find in many big business organisations as well. However, this thing might be quite more common in certain companies. This could be avoided if the higher-level management creates rules related to this. But this cannot be eliminated completely.
This might not be eliminated completely in so many other companies, but if it's in my business, it's completely eliminated. I will not use as a result of any favouritism and personal preferences to hire someone who wouldn't deliver. If they are underperforming, how am I expected to react?

This might not be eliminated completely in so many other companies, but if it's in my business, it's completely eliminated. I will not use as a result of any favouritism and personal preferences to hire someone who wouldn't deliver. If they are underperforming, how am I expected to react?

Well, favouritism is much common than we may think. A boss may hire a person he likes or he may also hire a relative. They may even keep it secret. Regardless of this, if the boss's relative is far much better than others, then I do not think that there is any problem with that.

Well, favouritism is much common than we may think. A boss may hire a person he likes or he may also hire a relative. They may even keep it secret. Regardless of this, if the boss's relative is far much better than others, then I do not think that there is any problem with that.
In my opinion, any boss who hired all his employees in such manner isn't smart and he's not managing his business with care. Bad staff will impact poorly in your business, sales will drop, profits will fall and expenses will increase.

Although, whenever there is a good reason why the manager wanted to hire someone whom I never wanted to hire, then I will have to just sit back and re-evaluate the person's skills, knowledge and qualification to know if the person is going to be better suited for the position that the manager want to hire him or her for.

Although, whenever there is a good reason why the manager wanted to hire someone whom I never wanted to hire, then I will have to just sit back and re-evaluate the person's skills, knowledge and qualification to know if the person is going to be better suited for the position that the manager want to hire him or her for.

Well, this is exactly where favouritism may play a really huge role and this may be a really common problem in many different cases. I have myself visited many places where favouritism might be a real thing and this is what I have felt myself.

Well, this is exactly where favouritism may play a really huge role and this may be a really common problem in many different cases. I have myself visited many places where favouritism might be a real thing and this is what I have felt myself.

Well, for me it is not even about favoritism but about the skill the person is going to bring to my business especially when I am not seeing it in the first place. I believe that is the reason why you have a manager to help to oversee things that you can actually see. So, in a situation where my manager actually find out something that I'm not seeing, I am not going to shut it down but evaluate more to know exactly what he saw that I couldn't.

Well, for me it is not even about favoritism but about the skill the person is going to bring to my business especially when I am not seeing it in the first place. I believe that is the reason why you have a manager to help to oversee things that you can actually see. So, in a situation where my manager actually find out something that I'm not seeing, I am not going to shut it down but evaluate more to know exactly what he saw that I couldn't.

There are many companies that may prefer skilled workers. Unfortunately, this is not the case with many companies. I have heard that the governmental officials are also involved in corruption and they select people according to their whims and desires. This made that particular department bankrupt by the passage of time, according to several news reports.

If favouritism is playing a big part in how you hire your workers, the persons which you're going to have in your business will not be skilled workers. Favouritism is going to cover your eyes from looking at the skills and experience you're meant to look for when hiring.

There are some jobs where you have the chance to of knowing who else applied for the same job. Take for instance, when it comes to jobs in the force like Navy, Military, Aviation etc, they always publish list of all who applied.

From an applicant's point of view, I do not think that this kind of information is available to job applicants. This information is available to people who may be conducting interviews and trying to seek right kind of candidates for the job. Until or unless you see other applicants in the waiting room, you may not be able to realise who have applied for the job.

From an applicant's point of view, I do not think that this kind of information is available to job applicants. This information is available to people who may be conducting interviews and trying to seek right kind of candidates for the job. Until or unless you see other applicants in the waiting room, you may not be able to realise who have applied for the job.

Not really, everything about being selected for the job is based on your performance in the test that's carried out in two stages and physical training too. At the end of the test and trainings, the result you have is what's going to be used to choose those who will get the job and have their names published online for everyone to have access to it.

Yes, there have been times when a manager wanted to hire someone I didn't think was a good fit for the team. It happens because managers and I might have different perspectives on what skills and qualities are important. In those situations, we usually have discussions to make the best decision for the team. It's all about finding the right balance.

Not really, everything about being selected for the job is based on your performance in the test that's carried out in two stages and physical training too. At the end of the test and trainings, the result you have is what's going to be used to choose those who will get the job and have their names published online for everyone to have access to it.

Well, the problem here is the fact that you may be aware of the fact that there are many other applicants who are there to apply for the job. However, you may not be aware of the skill level they may possess. So, there could be a lots of uncertainties. This is what happened to me when I applied for a job at a local clinic. They never told me whether they would hire me or not. They were not able to select the right kind of candidate. In the end, the applicant suffers. Therefore, a person should apply for a job at different places and look for different opportunities instead of relying on one job opportunity.

Yes, there have been times when a manager wanted to hire someone I didn't think was a good fit for the team. It happens because managers and I might have different perspectives on what skills and qualities are important. In those situations, we usually have discussions to make the best decision for the team. It's all about finding the right balance.

I believe that there is always going to be a room for evaluation of any applicant that is on the list to be employed by the manager. This is always going to give the chance to know if the person is worthy of being employed by the management so that they ensure that they don't make mistake of hiring those that are not going to contribute positively to the business.

Yes, several times. But then, I had voice my concerns. First, I tried to understand why the manager wanted to hire the person. Because, there may be something I might not be aware of that makes them a good fit for the position. I was specific about what I was worried about and how I think it could impact the company.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds