Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Has a client ever changed their mind mid order?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
Has there ever been a time where you put in a lot of work for a client and then they decide to back out of the order midway into it? How would you deal with something like that? Would you ask for half the pay for the work already done? Would you have requested portion of the pay first before even starting the job? What did you do if a client did something like this to you? Would you try to get the law involved?

Advertisement Placeholder
This is something that happens very often for those who are working in the sales department because there are so many customers who would end up changing their mind after you must have been trying to conclude the deal and get them to make payment for what your company is selling. I have experienced it more than 5 times when I worked in the sales department.

This is something that happens very often for those who are working in the sales department because there are so many customers who would end up changing their mind after you must have been trying to conclude the deal and get them to make payment for what your company is selling. I have experienced it more than 5 times when I worked in the sales department.

It is quite normal for a client to change the mind. They may demand certain kind of changes and they may even cancel the order. This is where the refund policy should come in handy. In case if the customer changes the mind, the money should be refunded in case of a product. However, if i am working as a freelancer, then I may not refund the money and state this beforehand in my refund policy.

I've had some clients make inquiries about my services which I sell on marketplace on forums without completing the order. They will promise to come back and pay for the service few days later without doing so. What I tell myself is you can't close all deals.

It is quite normal for a client to change the mind. They may demand certain kind of changes and they may even cancel the order. This is where the refund policy should come in handy. In case if the customer changes the mind, the money should be refunded in case of a product. However, if i am working as a freelancer, then I may not refund the money and state this beforehand in my refund policy.
Which is why I think it's acceptable for a freelancer to request a portion of the payment upfront, maybe a quarter of the pay or half, just to be sure they got the job and will for sure get the full pay once the job is done. It's risky to do the work first and then wait for payment, a lot of people could be swindled in this way.

My suggestion is to always get a contract written up, so if someone backs out, you can take action if most of the work is already done. At least get some pay for the work you put in.

I would be pretty peeved if someone came in right at the last second to finish my work though.

Some customers will just want to make inquiries and not ready for making any purchases but they will hide their true intentions. They will stress you for hours and in the end, they will end up not buying anything.

I prefer it for a customer to tell me it's only inquiries he or she is interested in getting now, I will be very happy to assist the customer without having any expectations.

It might be common; there are a lot of people who change their minds. It is important to think clearly if he or she has not paid yet. I don't think it is a big problem, but it might be bad if that happens often.

This has happened to me many times. Sometime back a client asked me to build a community for him. I built the community, I managed to bring members as well as activities. However, when it come to paying me and taking ownership of the website the client simply backed down.

People who identify themselves as freelancer would relate better to this. It's something you actually need to get used to as a freelancer but too much of it might mean you really don't have the necessary sales skills needed.

I once changed my mind mid Oder from buying a weave on online due to the fact that I saw a customer complaining of what she ordered verses what she got , it was not funny at all.

I run a business where you have to talk extensively with the customer on what they want before you go ahead to start the order processing and it is a normal experience now. I've had customers back out of a deal that they showed interest at first for no just reason and it makes me wonder how I will react when such a customer come back again for a different order.

I run a business where you have to talk extensively with the customer on what they want before you go ahead to start the order processing and it is a normal experience now. I've had customers back out of a deal that they showed interest at first for no just reason and it makes me wonder how I will react when such a customer come back again for a different order.

Where it gets very painful and annoying dealing with this kind of customers is that after you must have wasted a lot of time trying to talk to them and explain everything about the business initially and they backed out of the deal, when they come back again, they are still going to put you through the stress of explaining all over again and you cannot say no unless you don't want to sell.

Where it gets very painful and annoying dealing with this kind of customers is that after you must have wasted a lot of time trying to talk to them and explain everything about the business initially and they backed out of the deal, when they come back again, they are still going to put you through the stress of explaining all over again and you cannot say no unless you don't want to sell.

I used to have this guy that always comment on my business posts on Twitter that he is interested and each time he failed to buy after I send a DM. This made me to stop going to chat him up each time, but again, I wondered why he was joking with my feelings then with the hope that he will buy from me.

I used to have this guy that always comment on my business posts on Twitter that he is interested and each time he failed to buy after I send a DM. This made me to stop going to chat him up each time, but again, I wondered why he was joking with my feelings then with the hope that he will buy from me.

Some customers especially the ones that are online will always frustrate you to the point where if you're not careful, you're going to lose your cool and say something online that is going to affect your business. So the best thing for you to do is to try as much as possible to avoid getting into business conversation with the person first and allow them to make the move and see how serious they are about purchasing from you.

Which is why I think it's acceptable for a freelancer to request a portion of the payment upfront, maybe a quarter of the pay or half, just to be sure they got the job and will for sure get the full pay once the job is done. It's risky to do the work first and then wait for payment, a lot of people could be swindled in this way.

My suggestion is to always get a contract written up, so if someone backs out, you can take action if most of the work is already done. At least get some pay for the work you put in.

I would be pretty peeved if someone came in right at the last second to finish my work though.

There are many online freelancing platforms that allow people to ask for an upfront payment in case if they working as a freelancer. I think that many platforms's managers or owners do think that upfront money is important and this is why they also call it "milestone" payments. A written contract may not be needed on many sites.

If any client has to change his order mid, it is natural he takes care of the bills or the money you have spent before he made that decision. I am not going to be responsible for his own mistake and decisions...

There are many online freelancing platforms that allow people to ask for an upfront payment in case if they working as a freelancer. I think that many platforms's managers or owners do think that upfront money is important and this is why they also call it "milestone" payments. A written contract may not be needed on many sites.

For all the work I do when it's my services listed on any freelancing website is being ordered by any client, I will always be paid 100% before I begin to work on the order. If the client isn't ready to pay, I will never start the job because that's how they end up scamming you with not paying when your done.

I have seen many receipt that reads no refund of money after payment. So after a client and decide to make adjustments or change his minds , he should not except refund or reorder except he makes fresh payment...

For all the work I do when it's my services listed on any freelancing website is being ordered by any client, I will always be paid 100% before I begin to work on the order. If the client isn't ready to pay, I will never start the job because that's how they end up scamming you with not paying when your done.

This is why there are many freelancing sites with the option of escrow services. I remember signing up on websites such as freelancer and this was the time when I discovered the milestone option. You must upload funds into your account before you can hire someone and I think that this is a great feature.

I once changed my mind mid Oder from buying a weave on online due to the fact that I saw a customer complaining of what she ordered verses what she got , it was not funny at all.

There are some products which I would never buy online because they are those kind of products that needs a very detailed inspection and make sure that it's exactly what you're interested in buy. Making the mistake of paying for them online will leave with getting low quality products.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds