Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Get a vps they said, it will be easy they said....

Well, first, what is your Linux experience.
Linode and Digital Ocean both have decent documentation on creating a VPS.
Are you planning on running a panel?
It's a pity that the beta of CentMin Mod is not available for use as you could use it and Arch Linux or Rocky Linux. Right now you would be limited to CentMin Mod 7 (which has about 9 more months before it goes EOL.
And I don't know anyone that says that Linux is easy to learn. It's like learning DOS back in the old days.
My suggestion to anyone interested, get Oracle's VirtualBox and install it on Windows and play with Linux there.

OK So I am new to this VPS sutffs any pointers on how to get started?

Did you obtain a managed VPS or an unmanaged VPS? Which control panel did you choose (CPanel, DirectAdmin, Plesk).

My previous two VPS ran CPanel and my current one runs DirectAdmin and I am pretty savvy with them both. Some overly technical things I will throw at Support since I pay for managed services.

Are you the Sinistra on Invision Community?
Yep, Thats me,

something tells me I didn't get a managed VPS if anyone has messed with hosting24 or hostinger that is my hosting provider. I can figure everything out once I get a control panel installed. I figured their control panel options would be alittle more.... selective and have cpanel as an option that I didn't have to get a license for. As for my Linux? none lol I am a full time windows user.

something tells me I didn't get a managed VPS if anyone has messed with hosting24 or hostinger that is my hosting provider.
Unless you are paying about $50USD a month (minimum most likely now but I haven't priced managed services in a while) then you arent.
These are the templates to install that are available to you
When you get read to set up, you simply choose the template that contains the control panel you want. Be aware that the panels may be an extra cost.... I looked around and couldn't find the prices for panels, but I honestly did not look that hard as I've got about 3 things going at once right now.

I figured their control panel options would be alittle more.... selective and have cpanel as an option that I didn't have to get a license for

All your Control Panel options (DirectAdmin, Plesk, Cpanel) will cost you a little money. I just looked at Hosting24's VPS options and they don't appear to offer managed services. So to get started, you will need shell access with your root username and root password. You can log into shell using a program called PuTTy. You will have to install a Control Panel from the command line. DirectAdmin is cheaper and is what I use these days.

It looks like they have their "own" panel called Cyber Panel. I still can't find if it's free or a paid panel (as stated, most of them are a paid panel option). The reason you get it free with shared hosting is volume licensing. They can roll that cost into their hosting plan and spread out over hundreds of people it's not that bad.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor