Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 192911.png

🔄 Misc Forum Wiki

Item details

The Forum Wiki is a wiki dedicated to documenting forum and community software. We strive to have the most accurate information about popular, deprecated, or even lesser known forum and community software. We also have pages dedicated to free forum hosts. Feel free to sign up and add any information you may wish to share about any forum software. You may also make pages for any software you're working on.
A great idea, but I'm sorry to be blunt, but the website looks a little ugly in my opinion and when you advance to a new page it shows the HTML and a naked theme until it is fully loaded.

Are you using free wiki software?

Interesting. I’ll check it out later today. Good luck Raven. :D

I think I should join. I, uh, have some stories and know about all sorts of things.

Edit: Miraheze seems to be having some internal drama? Part of me is thinking it might be best to install a standalone MediaWiki somewhere, give it a real domain and not rely on something like that. Would also open other doors down the line potentially.

A great idea, but I'm sorry to be blunt, but the website looks a little ugly in my opinion and when you advance to a new page it shows the HTML and a naked theme until it is fully loaded.

Are you using free wiki software?
I'm using Miraheze's free mediawiki hosting. I'm guessing the theme is causing some issues, not really sure why this is happening. Thanks for being honest though. I'm probably going to take @Arantor's advice and get a backup of the wiki and just go down the self hosting route. I should have done this to begin with anyways. :p I'll go see if there's a domain name available, I've got hosting already.

Sadly, forum.wiki is taken (yes, wiki is a TLD now) but in the meantime I'll see if I have any ideas for a domain name.

Also happy to offer hosting if that's needed; MediaWiki isn't _that_ hard to run but it's not as easy as it could be, especially if you start playing in the plugin arena, or dare I say it trying to skin the thing.

I did a quick search on GoDaddy and forumsoftware.com is $2000+, while forum-software.com is $11.99.

I got the forumwiki.co domain from Namecheap. The .com is a premium domain and the lowest offer you can make is around $1200 which I don't have unfortunately. I might purchase forum-software.com at a later date, might come in handy for a redirect. :D I've downloaded Mediawiki, and I'm extracting everything now.

OK I think I've braindumped what was immediately on hand. We really need to think about how this is going to be categorised and structured (e.g. categories) and what information should be visible and how and where.

I've just thrown what's easily in my head, but there's plenty we can get hold of, such as when versions were released, and I can probably start digging out lists of what features were added/removed when for different platforms.

There are more platforms, too, this was just what was in my head that I could easily bring to mind...

I didn't expect to see this overlap so I'll just talk about Miraheze a little as I've watched them for some time.

Miraheze had a drama where its upper staff did not align in what they wanted to see for the platform, along with terrible communication and seriously fragmented authority. It culminated when their Trust and Safety banned the forum equivalent of an admin of the platform in June (iirc). They lost a huge portion of their tech and community people and are now running with little guidance and on fumes. Big folks who left are founders of the newer platform WikiTide. Miraheze will probably limp along but it's a bit of a zombie, your mileage will vary.

But yes, the premise is interesting.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor