Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Forum FAQ's or Rules

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
How do you go about your forum FAQ's or Rules? Do you customize them to your specific forum, or do you use a generic set of rules? How do you come up with these? Do you edit these ever, or do they collect dust? What are the basics any proper community should have in your opinion?

I try and use a simple yet stern form of rules. In past forums, members have hated listening to any sort, but truth is they are needed if we want to avoid any arguments happening on the sites.

I mainly suggest using common sense and using the forum software's TOS for general guidance on what is and what is not allowed. Of course, I have specific rules set in place and most of these rules were honestly ideas from other forums rules that I looked over. If someone does something that I don't wish to be done on my forum and it isn't outlined in the forum rules, then I would edit the rules in hopes they will abide by them. I haven't had to edit my forum rules in years now, however.

I like to customize the Rules to a small degree so that members can really understand what is expected of their behavior. On the Christian forum site I run, flaming is our biggest rule violation, so I even created a thread to give examples that person flaming was not allowed, but theological flaming was. You can say an idea is stupid but you can't say that the member is stupid. You'd think it would be easy to grasp that concept, but they still take offense when someone says their belief is stupid and then go on the attack of that member.

I just use my own set of rules, I never really bother editing the terms of service that comes with some software or the FAQ. Depending on the niche of the forum, I may have a separate set of rules in certain areas of the board that go along with the main global rules.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor