Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Fixed or fluid width?

Thomasss

Addicted member
Credits
Another design conundrum. :p

I had gotten this theme called Canvas, it's a phpBB theme and it has the ability to switch from a boxed (or fixed) to a fluid width, and it's amazing. =D I love fluid widths for some types of forums, and other types of forums just look better in a boxed layout.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer a fixed or fluid width? And when designing, do you take the two into consideration and make it an option?

Advertisement Placeholder
With that theme, I have boxed. I enjoy it that way. Also, did you use my referral :wink:

No, I didn't see an option for it. =o

But yeah, I liked the box layout but it didn't match the main websites fluid layout much. xD

Most of my forum designs are fixed. I don't know why but I just like fixed forums more, atleast I used to. When I got introduced to XenForo and saw some of the fluid themes designers have created I fell in love with them and the concept of fluid designs. So my next project is a fluid design for vBulletin 4. Flat.

I am someone who much prefers to see a fluid width over a fixed if I am honest. Fixed I feel is just too small and a prefer to see a forum filling out the page a little when I am browsing.

I don't create themes myself but when I choose a theme I like to see both options so I can install both options on say my forum so the members have a choice between fixed and fluid on a theme.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds