Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Emoticons / Emojis

Jamie

Credits
Bit of a work in progress but I started to make an emoticon set for my software.

I couldn't decide if I wanted the old pixel style or vector. In the end I settled on vector since I struggled to really see the detail on the pixel versions (could just be my eyes getting older...)

Anyway, it's the first time I've done anything like this in a long in a long time. What do you think? I think the plain smile seems off to me - I cant quite get the shape right no matter how many different ways I try to redraw it. I'll give it another go over the weekend I think..

z8BU3nd3xrcNUNAHB36qG6GYefNKQpgNVyFJfYr4.png

It looks great, very unique feel. Personally, I’d make them a bit less orange, more yellow. But that’s not really disturbing, so it’s not a needed change. As for the smile one, perhaps change the eyes to the one in the middle?

Good job. :D

Those look great. However, you should make them smaller and pick a different color for them in order to differenciate them from the smilies from other forum softwares.

I think they look good. I think Cedric's suggestions would be all that I would suggest though! I'm personally not bothered by the orange though either - it is different but not a bad thing!

I don't mind the orange, sure your traditional emoticons are usually yellow but change is a good thing!

Emoticons are getting to be a lost art with the introduction of the use of emojis (device native in most cases) of new software.
About all I use them for now is rating functions on my site.

Is that why there are entire Discord servers whose sole purpose is for people to join to share custom emoji?

Is that why there are entire Discord servers whose sole purpose is for people to join to share custom emoji?
There are entire groups set up to share video of females eating feces out of a cup... your point is?

Simple fact is.. for most "quality" scripts... custom emoticons are a thing of the past... emoji (native) are the "in" thing".

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 7.05.54 AM.png

Guess which is which.

Last edited:
your point is?
You were the one asserting that new software doesn't give a hoot about custom emoticons, I was telling you that you were wrong and to try to give you an idea just how wrong you actually were.

But since it's clear that you don't understand... every Discord server can add emoji (number based on how much people contribute financially to the server), which get used both in conversations and as reactions, but if you are a member of a server that uses those emoji, you can also use them on any other server you're also a member of.

This *encourages* custom emoji no end because anyone can add emoji to their own instance and let others share it out if they want, hence the fact that there are servers that add hundreds of emoji just for the purposes of sharing out with others.

Folks who pay Discord for 'Nitro' can also add animated emoji in a similar fashion, as well as larger images called stickers.

You were the one asserting that new software doesn't give a hoot about custom emoticons, I was telling you that you were wrong and to try to give you an idea just how wrong you actually were.
No, I simply stated that most current software utilizes the native emoticons and most admins are happy with that and rarely extend them.

This *encourages* custom emoji no end because anyone can add emoji to their own instance and let others share it out if they want, hence the fact that there are servers that add hundreds of emoji just for the purposes of sharing out with others.
And how exactly does Discord compare to a forum? Pretty sure that Discord lags behind... you tend to concentrate on a small segment whereas others look at the broader picture.

Folks who pay Discord for 'Nitro' can also add animated emoji in a similar fashion, as well as larger images called stickers.
Oh wow... something that FB does for free? :ROFLMAO:
Simple point is... for most FORUM's... emoticons are not that popular... in fact, in many cases they don't work will with "apps" that can't recognize them but DO recognize native emoji.

@Tracy and @Arantor while your discussion is about emoticons this is a showcase of Jamie's emoticons. :)

If you would like to create a thread about emoticon use on forums or even Discord, it would be a great topic to create in the "General Web and Forum Discussion" area. Thank you guys!

If you would like to create a thread about emoticon use on forums or even Discord, it would be a great topic to create in the "General Web and Forum Discussion" area.
Or, if you'd like we can split this topic into two since the discussion has already begun and it's irrelevant to the OP.

It looks great, very unique feel. Personally, I’d make them a bit less orange, more yellow. But that’s not really disturbing, so it’s not a needed change. As for the smile one, perhaps change the eyes to the one in the middle?

Good job. :D
They make sense with the default theme for his software though. In the next week or so I may give a crack at making some more for your repertoire. Idk if you wanna drop the base or not? If not, I'll try and exact the gradient the best I can.

Bit of a work in progress but I started to make an emoticon set for my software.

I couldn't decide if I wanted the old pixel style or vector. In the end I settled on vector since I struggled to really see the detail on the pixel versions (could just be my eyes getting older...)

Anyway, it's the first time I've done anything like this in a long in a long time. What do you think? I think the plain smile seems off to me - I cant quite get the shape right no matter how many different ways I try to redraw it. I'll give it another go over the weekend I think..

z8BU3nd3xrcNUNAHB36qG6GYefNKQpgNVyFJfYr4.png
Those look really good. The color isn't to yellow like a-lot of emotes and the expressions are very clear. Great job :).

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor