Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Does Your Online Community Feel a Bit... Cultish?

For topics related to engaging users and creating community interaction.

Dexter

Credits
Have you ever stepped back and wondered if your online community might be just a touch on the culty side? I'm talking about those vibes where everything feels a bit too homogenized, where dissenting opinions can get you harassed by other members. A strong sense of community is great, but where do we draw the line?

Here’s what’s got me thinking:
  1. Echo Chamber Much? Does everyone agree on almost everything? How does your community handle different or opposing views?
  2. The Lingo: Are there certain phrases or slogans that are repeated like mantras? Does it ever feel like you're speaking a private language?
  3. Hierarchy: Is there a clear in-group and out-group? How easy is it for new members to feel like they're part of the crew?

Advertisement Placeholder
It's very common with many online communities. A lot of people want a place where they have someone that mostly agrees with their point of view. While it's nice to have someone agreeing with you on a great deal of many things, that can also get boring very very quickly.

You start a discussion with an interlocutor on a rather banal subject:
  • you agree, the discussion stops or is boring, you push open doors.
  • you do not agree and as long as you are gentlemen then the discussion becomes exciting.
But as on the internet and especially on social networks, gentlemen/women are becoming increasingly rare, so some prefer the comfort of a caring community where not much happens but where they are almost certain to avoid verbal attacks.

Everyday life, reality, is violent enough for that.

I'm a big personal believer in wanting to bring in 'the other side' for fresh new perspectives (and it's why I love Admin Junkies, because it does a good job of posting a lot of threads with some interesting new insights). I've joined so many forums in the past couple of years where, as a new member, you can immediately FEEL that you've joined a clique and it's such a turn-off as a new member, like you have to work extra hard just to be accepted and they had so many special badges and titles and inside jokes.

As long as we focus on the Idea, not the Person, we'll be okay.

I've been watching some threads on Xenforo right now, and there are a lot of personal attacks right now against a specific person, and I find that to be totally inappropriate and wrong 😠. Some XF users go out of their way just to call out this user, which doesn't contribute to the discussion at all. These are the kinds of things that I hope never happen on this site.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds