Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Does username matter as an Admin/staff?

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Do you think your username matters if you're an admin or staff member? I know some admins used to change their username to their first name or even "Admin" or "Forum Name"

Can you think of any benefits to choosing a specific name, or does it really not matter these days?

I think if your username is “Admin” or “Owner” I’d never PM you if I needed something because that’s super dry, lol. For the most part, user titles have replaced the need for people to be named their specific staff position.

I wouldn’t even bother to join a forum where the admin doesn’t have a username or real name. I’ve mentioned it before but staff members or admin needs to be personal to members and one thing that is using names. Having your name as admin doesn’t sound inviting. It’s a barrier. You’re not having the intention to be one with your community but to be above your members and bossy.

Having your name as admin doesn’t sound inviting. It’s a barrier. You’re not having the intention to be one with your community but to be above your members and bossy.
Or you can have TWO actual accounts... one called Admin (which is used for any bans, corrective actions) and then another normal user account that you as an admin use for your everyday activities. That way, any moderator pursuit you may need to take is not directly linked by users to your account.

Or you can have TWO actual accounts... one called Admin (which is used for any bans, corrective actions) and then another normal user account that you as an admin use for your everyday activities. That way, any moderator pursuit you may need to take is not directly linked by users to your account.
In reality that creates more workload and could confuse your members. “Are you the main admin or not?” Who controls the second account? Having two admin also gives you two times more chance to breach.

gives you two times more chance to breach.
Not if you are using passkeys or 2FA for all your admin/moderator accounts...which should be a requirement on any site. ;)
How confident am I. Heck... as for how secure I'm in my site security measures... here's my admin login for the site. The username is Admin... the current password is Tr1ggerD0g (and no, this was set specific for my site and was set as a very easy one to "force")... bang away. Anyone of even 1/2 way ability can easily confirm the base login data.. but I seriously doubt the can get beyond that. In fact, once you hit the 2FA/Passkey option... you will most likely be dead in the water. If you get past that... please feel free to screen shot ACP specific data.
The password will be changed in about 3 or 4 days.
As for moderation, XF has the ability to "hide" the moderator taking action towards a user.. this way it gives the user an account to have contact with in case they need to.

And a nice thing... with use of security add-ons... one can monitor and then force a password change when they get alerts that accounts are "having issues"

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.52.58 AM.png
I really wish that XF would set up so that Passkeys were built in, and could be selected as the ONLY option instead of 2FA and such.

One weakness in XF that I have found... the inability to "log" admin logins or attempts... it's a simple weakness in XF that they probably haven not even thought of, and I honestly have no desire to point out as the "sycophantic" actions over there. Even though some "cult members" would like to push that I excoriate an particular script... I am MORE than happy to call out any of them.

Last edited:

I do this on Crafter Craze because I wanted to separate my two accounts. It's not as shocking for members at all and they know immediately who to address when there is an issue.

I think using your first name is often a good idea, or maybe something you used for a long time that represents you. Using your first name just gives that personal feel of who the admin truly is and to me at least, gives off vibes of some type of professional nature.

I think it does matter, if I see an admin with a immature name I probably wouldn't join the forum. It doesn't look professional if your username is something like "Haxorz123" or some other bizarre name.

I never saw the point in using any other name then the one you seen used here for any forum I have been apart of. It doesn't matter what title I hold, I don't change because the usergroup I am found in happened to change for whatever reason.

I never saw the point in using any other name then the one you seen used here for any forum I have been apart of. It doesn't matter what title I hold, I don't change because the usergroup I am found in happened to change for whatever reason.
I don’t recall you ever changing your name. Some may want to freshen things up every once in a while. I forgot where your username came from. I remember you once explaining it but I forgot. :p

I never have actually as I always figured it would be easier for people to find me if I stuck with the same name especially those who I have lost contact with and were trying to see if I was around anywhere. I honestly don't know how this name came to be the one I would choose for myself as that story has long since escaped my memory. :p

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds