Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you use a sinkhole?

NeoMetallix

Recognized member
Bronze Member
Credits
A DNS sinkhole, that is. The most popular being a pi-hole. It prevents certain IPs and domains for even loading to your devices on a network level.

It is commonly used to prevent tracking, phishing, and ads.

Anyone here use one? On my network, all social media is blocked. Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, etc. Along with 100s of thousands of IPS that are known trackers.

Never even heard of it, but I don't have much use for it since I mainly browse forums and search Google for information when necessary.

Never even heard of it, but I don't have much use for it since I mainly browse forums and search Google for information when necessary.
Pi-hole is the most common. It's great to prevent ads without having an ad blocker be detected.

Pi-hole is the most common. It's great to prevent ads without having an ad blocker be detected.
That sounds useful considering I've visited those sites that have the constant "whitelist our site" popup that doesn't go away until you do so.

This is the first I've heard of it but I'll have to check it out since I hate ads that still bypass adblocker.
It is also great for preventing trackers on your network. Perhaps this explains it better than me.

"DNS sinkhole or black hole DNS is used to spoof DNS servers to prevent resolving hostnames of specified URLs. This can be achieved by configuring the DNS forwarder to return a false IP address to a specific URL. DNS sinkholing can be used to prevent access to malicious URLs at an enterprise level"

People have already compiled lists of known ad servers and all you have to do is load those in the configuration and it won't even be able to connect to those ad servers.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor