Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Do you introduce yourself after joining a forum?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.
I think it’s just the right thing to do myself..always have. If I didnt new users might think I dont care..

I think it’s just the right thing to do myself..always have. If I didnt new users might think I dont care..
I am referring to those automatic topics, not genuine personal topics. :)

If I like the community, sure. If not I might make a few posts, leave, and never return.

Only if I plan on sticking around the forum. If I'm just dropping by then I normally don't introduce myself as it seems pointless if I won't be active.

I always make an introduction when I join a new forum. It is always one of the first threads that I create in a way to connect with everyone on the forum. It is always basic and that is a way to tell everyone about who I am.

I tend to do an introduction thread, tell everyone a bit about me as I feel like it gives members information to interact with me on.

I will at some point. Well, If I am being paid to write, then there is more urgency. Anyway, I should also help in welcoming other new members, but often I don't do that.

I do bc it's impersonal and just makes me feel like a number :p

I introduce myself when I plan to stick around too, just out of habit.
Why on earth would it do that? Surely it is manners from the forum owners perspective to welcome new users? strange way of looking at things

The problem is that the welcome post from admins usually feels impersonal because they don't know the person that's just joined - and very often if I join a forum I want some time to lurk around and get to know the forum dynamic before I put my head above the parapet, so to speak.

There's a lot of social dynamics at work and not everyone is equally extroverted in nature.

Why on earth would it do that? Surely it is manners from the forum owners perspective to welcome new users? strange way of looking at things
Because it’s automated and impersonal

@Arantor I actually post intro threads to help me get a vibe for the community by reading the responses and getting to know ppl prior to posting elsewhere

I typically do. I've gone by plenty of names in the past and will try to get most of those out of the way. I've used prophet since 2015 or so though.

And that would discourage me, not encourage me. Worse, I’d feel guilty for having taken up your time.

I HATE it when that happens. What's even worse are those automated threads they make. They seem to assume that you'd feel welcomed, but in my view, it's quite the opposite.
@Jane please re-read @CedricV ‘s post, thanks. That’s what I’d initially quoted and hence the miscommunication occurred. Note that we’re referring to welcome threads automatically created when a new member joins.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds