Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you have archive board in your forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
It depends on the situation but usually not. I have a recycle bin for deleted topics/posts, but the archiving is something I generally don't bother with in the moving-it-around sense.

That said, I have other options and facilities for this, I have an additional flag on topics that can be used - topics can be open, finished or locked. Finished topics don't *block* anyone from posting, but they're 'done now' topics, they're shown lower down the list of topics, they're excluded by default from the topic trackers/todo lists and so on. It's also interesting to note that only admins and the participants of the topics themselves can mark a topic finished; it's explicitly not a moderation action.

The closest thing I have to an archive forum is a completed code requests forum. I never really had an archive forum for the entire board, where older threads can go. As I see it, users can still use those threads for discussion if they post relevant information regarding the discussion. Some threads have no discussion value left after a certain time period, take an old news thread for example, so I guess I can understand archiving certain topics under certain conditions. But, most general discussion threads can retain value as long as they are used for the initial discussion at hand.

I don't at the moment but the forum I am working on at the moment to open up in a few weeks will have an archive forum in certain forums for posts that are either finished or just don't need to be brought back to the top due to them being irrelevant now. I feel archiving threads helps to keep the forum clean but allows you to keep the information.

Yes. I have one. It's called the "trash bin". It's in the staff only section of the forum. I don't delete old threads. I just have the topics moved to the "trash bin" instead of deleting them so that it doesn't decrease the post count on the forum. But it also keeps the forum cleaned up.
It's so wrong to delete any thread from your forum simply because it's an old thread. Even if one doesn't have a trash bin section or an archive, the best thing to do would be to lock the thread. It solves the problem of getting it woken up when it's no longer relevant.

We don’t have an archive. The way we can soft delete in Xenforo is efficiently enough.

I usually have a trash forum where all the off topic or double posts end up going. As for spam posts, I don't bother archiving them I just end up deleting them from my forum. I've visited forums throughout the years that would keep the trash forum viewable for members to basically show them what types of posts end up being trashed to make sure members are following the rules.

I always had a recycle bin, in the staff areas, and archive boards as well when I cared to separate a bunch of topics out of a board (as opposed to just locking them and letting them naturally fall off the most recent in a board)

I had an Archive forum when I ran an RP mainly for destroyed planets (it was a scifi war RP). If I were manning a community today I would avoid archive forums as I would want my board to look more active rather than "clean".

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds