Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Discussing the ban of a member in the open

net_zen

Credits
Say you ban a rather popular user from your forum. Some users tend to abuse their status once they earn certain 'popularity' so it's better to just ban them after a few warnings as to avoid further unrest among forum members. But doing so will make some people question your decision, as staff you'll be asked for reasons. How do you handle this, you simply open a thread and discuss the reasons for the ban?

Advertisement Placeholder
Thankfully I haven't had to do this yet regarding a popular user. I've only had to ban a couple of men who snuck into my ladies-only forum and began harassing members. I kicked them out so fast their heads are probably still spinning.

However, to serve as a warning to others I created a public "Wall of Shame" thread. So far no one else has tried to do this (yet).

Why would they question your decision? Perhaps if you post proof of what particular forum rule/rule the said member violated, then this solid piece of evidence would dispel other members' doubts or feelings of confusion. People start questioning when you try to do something without explaining properly. I think a wall of shame is a bit too much. Just a thread reminding people not to repeat the mistakes of those who were banned is enough. Diplomacy and ethics, remember that.

Is it worth it to ban this popular member though? I mean. if they are popular, they must be contributing to the activity of your forum right? I guess it really depends on what rules are being broken.

Anyways, back on topic, I believe making a little announcement reminding people of the rules is sufficient. As long as you have a reason for banning someone, don't worry about other members questioning your decision.

Unless there in an unrest in the community about the Banning of this member, I think it will be unethical to mention this as a thread on the forum or anywhere for that purpose. But yes, when you are asked - it becomes essential to let out the facts. Gossips, tales and other things pick up fast and these might lead to further issues in case the question is not clearly replied to immediately. So if there are people discussing this between them and the air is unclear, you do need to clear the air and make it public - dont keep it confined to PMs to a few select members. In case you PM a few select members it will only complicate the unrest and the matters.

There should be no need for members to discuss it. If they are determined all that should be needed from Admin is the comment that people only get banned if they break the rules and fail to respond when given the warnings that precede the banning and a reminder that discussion of staff decisions on the boards is breaking the rules (which it always should be). You can bet your life that the person will have communicated with others via PM before being banned and may well be communicating with them via email after being banned. I mean theoretically nobody should know if someone else is banned - they have just stopped posting for a few days - unless someone tells them. If you are applying the rules fairly and evenly and doing the best you can you should not need to answer questions on them and should not allow them.

I have banned 5 members on my new forum for abusing the forum. And so far I have not had anyone question why I banned said member. And if someone did ask I would just kindly explain to them that the reason for the ban is private. The only thing you are going to accomplish with having a open discussion about the ban is making members mad and even cause them to leave your forum for good.

Greg

I use the following rules, borrowed from Usenet: 1) Don't be too annoying. 2) Don't be too easily annoyed. 3) Don't spam me. I will ban someone if the first post they make in a forum is spam but, at that point, they haven't really become a member of the forum community, so I am banning a spammer, not a forum member.

It has been a while but I don't think I would ban a participating member of the forum unless their behavior were such that nearly everyone would be happier if they were gone.

Hmmm... I don't think you need to explain yourself when you do ban a popular member. You just need to make sure that your reason for banning that member is justified. And also you need to make sure that you have given him or her at least two chances before permanently banning him. This way, you won't be held against your decision since you did made sure that you have given him chances before banning him.

As far as explaining the situation to your other members, as I've said, it's not necessary. Now, if someone is really curious as for your reason, they could ask you directly and message you. It's up to you if you would disclose the information to them. Another thing you could do is put up a "Wall of Shame," as one poster suggested here. I have seen some forums with such areas, but have never seen any banned member in there. Lol. It's a great way to keep members to follow the rules, I guess.

Good luck!

:ninja:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds