Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Conversational Re-targeting and the violation of privacy?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I'm sure we've all experienced it. I've experienced it yesterday with my wife. We were talking about a city trip to somewhere. We didn't touch our phone or computer at the time of the conversation. After the conversation, my wife went on Facebook through her iPhone and what do you know? A bunch of advertisements about a city trip.

Facebook uses a technology called "conversational re-targeting" which uses natural language processing (NLP) to understand the content of conversations and identify keywords. Once certain keywords are identified, Facebook can serve relevant ads to the users involved in the conversation. Additionally, Facebook and other companies may also use other tracking technologies like browser cookies or device identifiers to track users' online activities and target them with relevant ads. However, It's worth noting that the conversations are not being recorded by Facebook, but rather it analyses the data on a device to infer an interest.

Big controversial though. Do you think it's a violation of privacy? Do phones have the right to hear what you conversation you have privately ?

And this is why you don't let the FB app onto your phone.

That said I'm not 100% I believe in this, because some of it has to be coincidence. But you have no way of knowing what they're using to profile you to consider that you might want time off for a city trip...

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor