Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Admin & Webmaster Chasing After the Shiny Object: Why Starting From Scratch is So Tempting

Website
admin-junkies.com
Credits
1716243152756.png

Do you periodically feel the excitement in starting over on a new platform that you're not currently active on? Or that it's time to start over on a new forum or new software?

It's a trap. It's an urge to dive into every new social platform, new software, or new idea that comes along. But hold on! Let's unpack why the Shiny Object Syndrome can be a trap and how to stay focused on building a thriving online community.

The Allure of New Platforms​

New platforms and new forums are exciting. They seem full of potential and promise quick success. It’s like spotting a shiny new toy; you can’t help but want to play with it. But before you jump ship from your current platform, consider this: every platform, idea, or forum has a learning curve and requires consistent effort to succeed. It seems easy to start.

1716243713358.png

The Dunning-Kruger Effect​

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias where people with limited knowledge or experience in a domain overestimate their abilities. In other words, the less you know, the more you overestimate yourself. When you’re new to a platform, it feels easy and exciting. You might think, “I could totally master this!” But as you delve deeper, the reality of its complexities sets in.

1716243437489.png

The Reality of Platform Mastery​

Every platform has its own set of challenges. Mastery comes from experience and consistent practice. Webmasters of Big Boards or established content creators on Instagram, YouTube, or TikTok have honed their skills over time. Jumping to a new platform means starting from scratch, and you might find it’s just as tough, if not tougher, than your current one.

The False Positives​

Launching something new often brings a wave of initial excitement. Your loyal followers might check it out, giving you a false sense of early success. But soon, engagement normalizes, and you’re left juggling multiple platforms, spreading yourself too thin.

Focus on Quality, Not Quantity​

The key to community building is quality over quantity. It’s better to be great on one or two platforms than mediocre across many. By focusing your efforts, you can create remarkable content that stands out and truly engages your audience.

Avoiding the Syndrome​

1. Evaluate Your Goals: Before diving into a new platform, ask yourself if it aligns with your long-term goals. Is it worth the time and effort?
  2. Maximize Current Platforms: Are you utilizing your current platforms to their fullest potential? Focus on growing and improving where you already have a presence.
  3. Create Consistently: Success comes from consistent, high-quality content. Stick to a schedule and keep delivering value to your community.

Conclusion​

Shiny Platform Syndrome can be a tempting distraction, but staying focused on your core platforms and community is where real success lies. By honing your skills, engaging consistently, and providing value, you can build a loyal and thriving online community. Resist the allure of every new platform, idea, or forum and focus on the success that's in front of you.

Happy community building!

Advertisement Placeholder
While there are some valid points about consistency, we shouldn't cover our eyes and not observe the changes and new objects passing by (AI as an example), Otherwise America wouldn't be found, We wouldn't have Google, FB, OpenAI and the rest . All of them were shining objects by then. And those curious enough got advantages over the crowd.

While there are some valid points about consistency, we shouldn't cover our eyes and not observe the changes and new objects passing by (AI as an example), Otherwise America wouldn't be found, We wouldn't have Google, FB, OpenAI and the rest . All of them were shining objects by then. And those curious enough got advantages over the crowd.
This is very true. The amount of times I have found myself wishing I had jumped on something when it was new and shiny to get ahead of the game and I didn't and realized it was a mistake is crazy.

Sometimes jumping on something new can lead to great things, it's just about doing it at the right time and with the right plan.

Oh I'm so guilty to this. I think generally it's just sometimes you hit a wall. You can't focus to continue, do better. So instead you try something else and new, get out of your comfort zone. And if you're lucky, you nail it, you book success, you wished you had done it sooner.

I think we should be careful not to overestimate survivorship bias. In other words, for every breakout success like [COLOR=rgba(var(--xgtBirincil-m))]Facebook, how many other platforms died? Did you ever try Friendster, Orkut, Google+, Vine, Ping, Google Buzz, Myspace, Bebo, or Daily Booth? How many new platforms do you have to join, just to find success on one of them?

Yes, being an early adopter of a platform can have benefits, but you gotta be lucky AND the platform has to survive.

(For full disclosure, I bought Bitcoin when it was at 1 BTC at $30 USD so I'm all for trying new things. But Ive also "lost" time playing around with Mastodon, BlueSky, etc.) [/COLOR]

Oh I'm so guilty to this. I think generally it's just sometimes you hit a wall. You can't focus to continue, do better. So instead you try something else and new, get out of your comfort zone. And if you're lucky, you nail it, you book success, you wished you had done it sooner.
Yes, and it's something that's happened to me so many times too! It seems so much easier to start over on so-and-so software, when in reality, you need to change your mindset with what you currently have.

One thing that I've done is to start asking myself, where do I see my forum in 2 years? 5 years? When you start asking yourself questions like this, instead of becoming trapped in how you're feeling at that particular moment, your entire paradigm changes and you become energized at how much more you can do!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds