Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

BuddyPress BbPress

JewishPoptart89

Loyal member
Credits
What's your thought on using buddy press and BbPress for your forum?

I'm using it currently and it's working very well. I have no complaints because I love Wordpress ;)

Advertisement Placeholder
I actually have yet to try it honestly, I have considered it though. I know it doesn't have all the functionality that other softwares have, and a lot of the "report a post to a mod" and stuff like that are all in plugins which kinda makes me worry, with the heavy theme and plugins I have already I am not really sold on switching. :p

I actually have yet to try it honestly, I have considered it though. I know it doesn't have all the functionality that other softwares have, and a lot of the "report a post to a mod" and stuff like that are all in plugins which kinda makes me worry, with the heavy theme and plugins I have already I am not really sold on switching. :yum:
I think of it as a temp solution. If you don't want to commit and buy $100+ license and risk not gaining popularity, you haven't lost anything but the purchase of the domain and hosting.

I never liked Buddypress, though then again I also think that Wordpress's registration system is rather busy and big. :p I think having a separate software and a bridge to Wordpress is best, that's just me. I didn't really find Buddypress or bbpress to be all that stable.

I never liked Buddypress, though then again I also think that Wordpress's registration system is rather busy and big. :yum: I think having a separate software and a bridge to Wordpress is best, that's just me. I didn't really find Buddypress or bbpress to be all that stable.
That's a good point. It's a little dodgy at some times but if you get registration just right you're spot on. But you are right it's better with a bridge!

It's really a super easy forum base to use. It can be customized brilliantly. For example, take a look at Forum Engine http://www.enginethemes.com/demo/forumengine/

It's completely based off bbPress and BuddyPress and then built with WordPress. I'm sure there are other theme's out there too. The admin/mod side of the two are also simple to figure out and easy to use. The only complaint is categories and forums are hard to determine in ACP when creating new ones. Took me a few minutes to work out the creating of forums and such (lol).

Same here, and the ordering system is a bit annoying. I just moved away from buddy press over to phpbb, I'm a lot happier haha.

I did have a theme made specifically for buddy press and I enjoyed it but it just wasn't what I needed.

I really love Wordpress so I wanted to give that a shot before anything! :)

I don't use it. If I wanted a forum with WP, I'd use phpBB or IPB along with a bridge. I think BuddyPress is okay, but it's not nearly what something free like phpBB is as a forum.

I don't know anyone who uses buddypress. I mean is it even worth using?
It's worth trying and seeing if you like the features. Back when I was running BuddyPress and bb press, I really enjoyed it worked nicely and it looked good. However, PhpBB had more features. You just have to keep in mind that Wordpress isn't really made for forums and PhpBB or another forum software is. Amazing integration into Wordpress due to the fact you're running Wordpress for it... I do suggest using a front end registration and all that other than BuddyPress'. It's a lot safer. Look at user pro for that.

You just have to keep in mind that Wordpress isn't really made for forums and PhpBB or another forum software is. Amazing integration into Wordpress due to the fact you're running Wordpress for it... I do suggest using a front end registration and all that other than BuddyPress'. It's a lot safer. Look at user pro for that.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine forums running on wordpress. When I think of wordpress, I think of blogs, business pages (maybe) and portfolios. Maybe some e-commerce websites as well.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine forums running on wordpress. When I think of wordpress, I think of blogs, business pages (maybe) and portfolios. Maybe some e-commerce websites as well.
Wordpress can literally do anything in the world, you just need to know php, html, and css.

Like Simple Machines, bbPress has one-click upgrades and theme and mod installers. In that case, I think that's a powerful advantage - especially for newbies who don't have a clue about that stuff.

BuddyPress is good if you want to set up your own social network. BBPress would be a forum functionality for it. However, if you just want a forum, BBPress is the only thing you would need.

If you know your way around WordPress, bbpress isn't bad to use. You can customize the look and feel and add compatible plugins.

I'm working on a paid online community for my blogging blog. It will use bbpress and other addons to make the online community exclusively on WP.

So, I wouldn't use both unless you want a social network.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds