Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Are image logo's more important than text based ?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
When it comes to designing a logo for your website, one important decision to make is whether to use an image or a text-based logo. Both options have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it's worth taking a closer look at each to determine which one would be better for your website.

Image logos are often more visually striking and can be easier to remember than text logos. They can convey a lot of information about your website or brand in a single glance, especially if the image is designed to represent what your website is all about. Image logos can also be more versatile than text logos, as they can be easily resized and used in different contexts without losing their impact.

Text logos can be more flexible in terms of the fonts, colors, and styles used. They can also be easier to read, especially for websites that have long or complicated names. Text logos can also be more search engine friendly, as search engines can easily recognize and index text-based content.

The choice between an image or text logo depends on your website's goals and branding strategy. If you want to create a strong visual impact and have a memorable brand identity, an image logo may be the way to go. If you want to prioritize flexibility, readability, and cost-effectiveness, a text logo is a better fit. Whatever you choose, remember that your logo is an important part of your website's overall design, and it should reflect your brand's personality and values.

What do you think is the better choice to make ?

Don't forget, though, that there are plenty of very large brands whose primary logo is actually just text, albeit stylised.

For most of its life, Microsoft's logo was just the word Microsoft - the 4-square logo next to it, adapted from the Windows logo specifically, is a much more recent iteration (from 2012)

But I can go on and point out how many logos are purely stylised text (IBM, Samsung, Ford, HP, Tesco, ExxonMobil, Colgate, Subway, Coca-Cola, Proctor & Gamble, Sony, Panasonic), or logos with some emblem next to it (Microsoft, Walmart, Verizon, National Geographic, Amazon), and I'm sure there are plenty more, these are just the ones that come to mind.

The trick is about being distinctive and memorable. The right kind of stylised text can absolutely do that.

Which is *better*? Tough question. I think it ultimately depends on the rest of the design I'm working with; if the design wants to speak to 'high aesthetic' as a concept, then something visual perhaps with the brand name on it as an finishing touch is probably the way to go. Anything else? Make the foundation of the logo textual. Maybe with an icon, but ground it in the textual.

Stylized text appeals to me the most. The reason for that is that I forget which company a design represents if the wording isn't present.

Case in point, car logos! Is it a Toyota or is it a Hyundai? My brain doesn't always get it right immediately when I see a vehicle and wonder what it is. We used to own both Toyotas and Hyundais, so you'd think by now that I could easily recognize it. I like that both Ford and BMW have the text in the design. I think it's better training for customers to remember who they are.

Think also about tourists from other countries. A graphic for a logo might not help them without the text included.

With the capabilities of CSS these days, you can probably make a worthy text-based logo. Though, images may be of higher quality and can produce different effects that CSS cannot.

Any logo is a heavy requirement, even text-based ones are stylized so they are technically a logo. The reason for this is so the brand is memorable. I always have logos made for any business venture I start and usually have an avatar and banner made based on the logo or color scheme. Helps the brand stand out against others that have no logo or a logo that is related to the same concept but different.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor