Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

App For Your Forum

Kane

Captain Junkie
Credits
I have found that a lot of people like to use mobile devices for posting on forums. This made me thing that what if we launch a mobile app for our forums. Do you think we could grow bigger audience if we had mobile apps for our forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
I know that Xenforo has the option where you can choose to install the forum to your home screen for easy access and as long as the forum is mobile-friendly, it works just like an app would.

It would be great to also have apps offered, I wouldn't know where to start to create an app though so would need to hire someone who knew what they were doing.

Biggest issue with a standalone app is trying to get it to work with 3rd party add-ons that may be important to a site.
XF's PWA works well for those that need that functionality of an app appearance in many ways and it allows the use of add-ons.

Most forums are responsive and that helps a lot as many websites are mobile-responsive now.

I don't know about you all but I don't like downloading more apps. It takes up so much space on my phone.

I'd much rather just go to a forum, and it be mobile-responsive.

Could you imagine having to download an app for every blog you surf?

Could you imagine having to download an app for every blog you surf?
I think that is part of the draw of a script specific app.
If the script developers could create one for their offering and also have it use 3rd party add-ons then you would only need one app to install for that scripts various sites. Then if the script provider had a registry/directory that site owners running that script could submit their site to and it be searchable from the app, gravy on the taters.

I think that is part of the draw of a script specific app.
If the script developers could create one for their offering and also have it use 3rd party add-ons then you would only need one app to install for that scripts various sites. Then if the script provider had a registry/directory that site owners running that script could submit their site to and it be searchable from the app, gravy on the taters.
WordPress has an app for that.

But I also think that most people who want apps want one that is custom to their site. One they can host on Apple and Android themselves.

However, if XF released an app that we could access all forums on - it would sort of be like Tapatalk, no?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 7)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds