Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Mobile: Browser or Add to Home?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
If you are a mobile user do you browse forums on the browser or do you add it to your Home Screen and it basically becomes an App?

I just rediscovered the convenience of it being more like an app. Luckily our themes are pretty mobile friendly but for some reason this is even better.

I also like that I get push notifications on my phone now too!

I tend to use the web browser to browse forums when I need to when I am away from my laptop.

I have in the past added them to my home for easier access and I do like the fact we can have push notifications now as it helps me keep up with everything even when I am out and about.

I open up my web browser and then type or enter the site via the tab shortcuts ;) even typing or stating to type the URL it remembers the full URL and automatic adds it. -

The only downfall of having it added to my home screen like an App - I have not figured out a back button yet. So I have to go hit the banner at the top to go back.

Admin Junkies is the only forum I use as an app on my home screen, and I have two Jcink forums bookmarked because making them an app on your home screen isn't a feature of the software at this time.

I have not figured out a back button yet.
It was the same for me at first, but you just slide your finger left or right to go backward or forward. I'm using the latest version of iOS on iPhone 11.

I only do this with some sites that are not forums. Mostly sites I want to bookmark, forums is where I will visit regularly, I love combining tabs upon tabs that's the reason I don't do it that often in forums.

Sites that do the “add to Home Screen” feature can theoretically also do push notifications which might be of interest to some people.

Admin Junkies is the only forum I use as an app on my home screen, and I have two Jcink forums bookmarked because making them an app on your home screen isn't a feature of the software at this time.

It was the same for me at first, but you just slide your finger left or right to go backward or forward. I'm using the latest version of iOS on iPhone 11.
Oh man you gotta do it on the edge of the screen and practically do the whole screen! Thank you though! Super helpful!! :)

Sites that do the “add to Home Screen” feature can theoretically also do push notifications which might be of interest to some people.
I've been enjoying the push features...

Now a cool concept is to reward users for turning on push notifications too because this should ensure they'd be a bit more active as well!

This wouldn't work for Jcink would it? When you add the website to your home screen you would get notifications of alerts that you would normally receive on Jcink. I would think that would have to be coded server-side.

Oh man you gotta do it on the edge of the screen and practically do the whole screen! Thank you though! Super helpful!! :)
I think I actually figured it out by accident by just scrolling through the pages.

The only downfall of having it added to my home screen like an App - I have not figured out a back button yet. So I have to go hit the banner at the top to go back.
If using an iPhone, it's simply a swipe from the left side of the screen to go back (on an XF site is what I'm familiar with but should be the same on any). Finger placement is important.

I just use the mobile version of Firefox to browse forums, but even if I used an app, I never have push notifications enabled on any of my apps other than Guilded (since it's not too active) otherwise I would get too many notifications sent to my phone.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Unread Posts

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations