Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

3 ways to avoid depression as an entrepreneur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadness and depression is risky for a business visionary to begin encountering. You should do all inside your strength to not get discouraged. Do things each in turn. You should figure out how to assign your exercises occasionally.

Advertisement Placeholder
1) Anticipate & Prepare

Know the risks, be aware of the signs, and have a plan to prevent and deal with it. Positive self-talk and listening to old motivational content is great until you just don’t feel like you can face hearing it. Have some real go-to resources and solutions. Begin with realistic expectations. If you go in expecting to fail, or better, realizing that there is no such thing as failure, only learning opportunities, you can help vaccinate yourself in advance.

2) Have a Strong Support Network

The worst thing you can probably do is to be alone. Have advisors, coaches, friends, and family lined up in advance. People you can be transparent with. People you don’t have to put on a false front to. Then recognize that being open about what you are feeling is actually a strength and the best positive action you can take.
3) Sleep

There will be weeks that you may be so busy you won’t sleep for days. That may be a part of the job, but it isn’t healthy. Sleep is super important. It may be the single most important secret to success as an entrepreneur. It will help you perform better. It protects your mood and mental state.

I recently interviewed Martin Rawls-Meehan, founder of Reverie. He bootstrapped his mattress company without financing to over $100 million in revenue. During the interview, he talks about the industry and why sleep is more important than anything else in order to take care of ourselves (listen to the full episode here).

Yes every entrepreneur face One challenge or the other which makes them go into depression. But every entrepreneur has to keep up going, they have to have a mentor they look up to, read about their Mentor and encourage themselves in their business. Because every big enterpreneur they look up to, face challenges too, every position they want to attend has obstacles and so after the obstacle they will be Victory.

Depression is a dark and lonely place to be in no matter what someone does for a living. Entrepreneurs face a unique set of challenges when depressed. That's because for many entrepreneurs, their personal health is reflected in their business health.
When you're depressed, you're not productive. When you're not productive, your business suffers. When your business suffers, your depression deepens. And the cycle continues and can become more insidious with every iteration.

Entrepreneurs know that their business successes are personal successes -- and their business challenges are personal challenges. The phrase “it’s not personal; it’s business” doesn’t apply to them. And so a personal struggle like depression leads to business challenges, including lost revenue and team conflicts.

Exercise regularly
Exercising regularly is one of the best things you can do for your mental health. Exercising can help in the treatment and prevention of depression in several ways like it increase your body temperature, it releases chemical like endorphins that can boost mood and and it helps boosting your immune system.

One thing we know is that there is a link between the creative mind and depression.

Entrepreneurs are, if nothing else, creators. And simply because being a business owner is stressful, entrepreneurs who didn’t otherwise suffer from depression may find themselves experiencing symptoms
[automerge]1612369299[/automerge]
One thing we know is that there is a link between the creative mind and depression.

Entrepreneurs are, if nothing else, creators. And simply because being a business owner is stressful, entrepreneurs who didn’t otherwise suffer from depression may find themselves experiencing symptoms

The reasons businessmen get depressed include:...
Know the threats, be mindful of the symptoms, and have a plan to stop them and deal with them.

Depression is a dark and lonely place to be in no matter what someone does for a living. Entrepreneurs face a unique set of challenges when depressed. That's because for many entrepreneurs, their personal health is reflected in their business health.

When you're depressed, you're not productive. When you're not productive, your business suffers. When your business suffers, your depression deepens. And the cycle continues and can become more insidious with every iteration.

Entrepreneurs know that their business successes are personal successes -- and their business challenges are personal challenges. The phrase “it’s not personal; it’s business” doesn’t apply to them. And so a personal struggle like depression leads to business challenges, including lost revenue and team conflicts.

So how can business leaders reach the light at the end of the depression tunnel and avoid toxic triggers?

1. Find a safe space.​

Part of what gives depression its power is the shame -- and the need to conceal those feelings. Brené Brown speaks eloquently about how vulnerability can eradicate shame. Seeking therapy is always a good idea for someone suffering with depression.

Having an entrepreneurial support system isn’t a bad idea either. Mastermind groups can be a safe place to share business and personal struggles. The fellow entrepreneurs in a mastermind group may have a deep understanding of the issues you're facing and can provide keen insights for solutions.

2. Close the gap.​

It’s natural for entrepreneurs to chase the horizon. But when you’re in a depressed state, the horizon seems further and further away.

What once was a lofty goal turns into an unachievable, daunting odyssey. Dan Sullivan, the founder of Strategic Coach in Toronto, teaches a very powerful lesson that helps turn the tables on this phenomena. He calls it "closing the gap." In essence, an individual shifts his or her perspective from looking forward to looking backward.

In depression, you tend to focus on everything you haven’t achieved and focus solemnly on where you think you should be.

Instead, practice the act of looking back, acknowledging and celebrating what you have accomplished. Observe and appreciate every step, big or small, that you’ve taken traveling on the path toward your vision.

With this practice, you'll see that you're closer to your goals than your depression wants you to believe. Closing the gap will give you positive, motivating fuel to take more action.

3. Go on an information fast.​

If you have ever been bombarded with Facebook posts about one person's success, followed by another and another, then you might understand that sometimes those "uplifting" and "motivating" posts can have the opposite effect, especially for someone with depression.

Sure, those posts and articles can help individuals see what's possible and provide motivation for stepping up their game. On the other hand, if you're suffering from depression, those posts could trap you in a detrimental comparison mindset. You might think, "Look, there’s another person who’s killing it and I’m still stuck.They must be special. I must be broken."

Sometimes the best thing to do is to remove yourself from such triggers. Unplug from Facebook. Don’t read those posts. Perhaps, you need to turn away from consuming information so that you can have the space for producing.
You amazingly coupled up all the relevant information for being more efficient and effective entrepreneur, yes i agree with your concept that, the depression will cause the hindrance to the way of your success, so try to manage it with the positive will.

So how can business leaders reach the light at the end of the depression tunnel and avoid toxic triggers?

1. Find a safe space.​

Part of what gives depression its power is the shame -- and the need to conceal those feelings. Brené Brown speaks eloquently about how vulnerability can eradicate shame. Seeking therapy is always a good idea for someone suffering with depression.

Having an entrepreneurial support system isn’t a bad idea either. Mastermind groups can be a safe place to share business and personal struggles. The fellow entrepreneurs in a mastermind group may have a deep understanding of the issues you're facing and can provide keen insights for solutions.

2. Close the gap.​

It’s natural for entrepreneurs to chase the horizon. But when you’re in a depressed state, the horizon seems further and further away.

What once was a lofty goal turns into an unachievable, daunting odyssey. Dan Sullivan, the founder of Strategic Coach in Toronto, teaches a very powerful lesson that helps turn the tables on this phenomena. He calls it "closing the gap." In essence, an individual shifts his or her perspective from looking forward to looking backward.

In depression, you tend to focus on everything you haven’t achieved and focus solemnly on where you think you should be.

Instead, practice the act of looking back, acknowledging and celebrating what you have accomplished. Observe and appreciate every step, big or small, that you’ve taken traveling on the path toward your vision.

With this practice, you'll see that you're closer to your goals than your depression wants you to believe. Closing the gap will give you positive, motivating fuel to take more action.

If you have ever been bombarded with Facebook posts about one person's success, followed by another and another, then you might understand that sometimes those "uplifting" and "motivating" posts can have the opposite effect, especially for someone with depression.

Sure, those posts and articles can help individuals see what's possible and provide motivation for stepping up their game. On the other hand, if you're suffering from depression, those posts could trap you in a detrimental comparison mindset. You might think, "Look, there’s another person who’s killing it and I’m still stuck.They must be special. I must be broken."

Sometimes the best thing to do is to remove yourself from such triggers. Unplug from Facebook. Don’t read those posts. Perhaps, you need to turn away from consuming information so that you can have the space for producing.
Wow
This is really awesome. I swear I have been suffering from depression for a while now. But what I do most times is just listen to music and try to keep myself busy. I also try to go out with friends probably I would forget what is making me depress .

I love the article posted up there and I must confess that this really lifts up my head and reassures me that I'm not being mistaken being an entrepreneur. sometimes one tends to be depressed and even think of quitting due to the fact that some things don't work out as expected but with this post, one is good to go. Thanks a lot.
It is like this article hit me the same it did to you. I have been through a lot of challenges that made me quit some of my online businesses for instance when people fail to pay for the service rendered. Most of this people are too close to my business tht I found it difficult to ask them, I got depressed with this feeling.

For entrepreneurs it is usually easy to get frustrated and tired of one's business. And then you start having funny thoughts and most likely depression follows. The best way to avoid this is by planning ahead this way when things happen it would be easier to take in. Also, form a support group with family and other similar business so you can always talk about your problems.

I have to agree that when the business is going down the entrepreneur is susceptible to depression because his mindset is focused on the problem. One of the ways to control the onset of depression is to get moral support from friends. Invite friends to your place for some drinks and snacks just to give you time for chatting. It's not about the business at first but anything under the sun. After an hour of chatting on any topics that is the time that you bring up your business problems.

1. Find a safe space.​

2. Close the gap.​

One of the ways to avoid depression as an entrepreneur is to keep on working hard. You have to be very diligent in whatever you are doing, and you have to be very consistent irrespective of how things are going. Always tell yourself that you can, and do not listen to negativism.

If you are an entrepreneur and you want to avoid depression, always make sure before venturing into any kind of business you have done enough investigation and you have know all the kind of risks involved so you won't be depressed when you encounter any kind of loss.

Marrying business with other personal issues could be a strenuous task. To avoid depression, an entrepreneur must sometimes delegate some of his functions/duties. He must take break at a regular intervals and must be able to marry success and failure.

This is an awesome article. So educative and full of help. Depression really hinders your productivity in business and so you need to know how to deal with it. I was once depressed too and even though I did not find a safe space to express it, I found that unplugging for Facebook and other social media sites really helped. I also got into reading self help books and they provided great insights that helped me alot.

1. Find a safe space.​

2. Close the gap.​

Thank you for sharing tips on how to avoid depression as an entrepreneur. Being an entrepreneur is not an easy task especially for starters. I would advise that an entrepreneur must take some time to rest, don't burden yourself with responsibilities.

Never give up. Always be optimistic. Rely on your hard work instead of people ۔ Don't set unreasonable expectations on people. Work hard and leave the results to God. Never be dishonest.

1. Find a safe space.​

2. Close the gap.​

Social media has played a big role in this, most time we see our business associates displaying their success on Instagram and it get saddening and depressing when you as an entrepreneur feel you're not measuring up to your counterparts, best is not to compare yourself to anyone and work at your own pace.

To avoid depression as an entrepreneur, you must be prepared for whatsoever might hit you or the business. Be you,don't try to be someone else, be proud of your business and don't compare your business with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds