Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

3 ways to avoid depression as an entrepreneur

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. Look beyond self-help.​

Toronto-based Nicholas Kusmich is the Facebook ninja for many high-profile clients and companies and creates ad campaigns for that social-media platform. He recently got married in Italy and travels the world speaking at high-end events. Yet just four years ago, he was googling, "What’s the easiest way to die?"

"I did everything that the self-help experts tell you to do," he tells me over dinner in Los Angeles. "I had my vision board. I read two paragraphs of Think and Grow Rich every day."

Yet "it wasn’t working and so I thought that something must be wrong with me," Kusmich says.

What allowed for his successful shift from depression to fulfillment?

"The most freeing day of my life was when I tore down my vision board," Kusmich explains.

"I decided to stop looking outward," he says. "I realized that rather than looking at the goals, visions and purposes ... as something to strive toward and an outcome to be achieved, instead I decided to embrace the fullness of my present moment." He determined "This is where I am. This is what I have to work with."

2. Find a safe space.​

Part of what gives depression its power is the shame -- and the need to conceal those feelings. Brené Brown speaks eloquently about how vulnerability can eradicate shame. Seeking therapy is always a good idea for someone suffering with depression.

Having an entrepreneurial support system isn’t a bad idea either.

3. Close the gap.​

It’s natural for entrepreneurs to chase the horizon. But when you’re in a depressed state, the horizon seems further and further away.

What once was a lofty goal turns into an unachievable, daunting odyssey. Dan Sullivan, the founder of Strategic Coach in Toronto, teaches a very powerful lesson that helps turn the tables on this phenomena. He calls it "closing the gap." In essence, an individual shifts his or her perspective from looking forward to looking backward.

In depression, you tend to focus on everything you haven’t achieved and focus solemnly on where you think you should be.

Instead, practice the act of looking back, acknowledging and celebrating what you have accomplished. Observe and appreciate every step, big or small, that you’ve taken traveling on the path toward your vision.

With this practice, you'll see that you're closer to your goals than your depression wants you to believe. Closing the gap will give you positive, motivating fuel to take more action.

Advertisement Placeholder
Although there are lots of situations and circumstances that builds depression or set it in a person. This is possible if people give in and give way to these situations to be able build depression and it activates once it's given the opportunity to spread and grow. Hence, the need to follow your already highlighted points that can help prevent and avoid totally because prevention is better than cure!

Finance:
Whether you are trying to access capital to build your business or your business is well established, money will always be a source of stress for business owners.

Clients/Customers
Getting your business off the ground requires clients. Difficult or non paying customers can drain resources and time.

Time factor
Too much to do, not enough time! Every entrepreneur can relate to this. There just aren’t enough hours in the day, and doing it alone can seem near impossible.

Balance:
Entrepreneurs tend to prioritize the needs of their business, and as a result end up sacrificing relationships and self-care.

One major area one must learn to take full control of as an entrepreneuris your emotions you must learn to be patient and apply self control. Then you must guild yourself against wasteful spending that might lead to regrets.

If the last recession's anything to go by, what you'll probably find is that as the credit ratings drop we move from a sort of your own account system to you need to pay proforma. And all of a sudden you've got a lot of costs that you've gotta pay for upfront. And these businesses are not gonna have access to capital to be able to do that.

Depression is really bad and it has negative effects on one's overall health.
To avoid this, be optimistic, expect and see the good in every situation. A little mistake can drive a business into debts but that is not the end of life, people rise and fall but successful people don't give up at falling, they rise again. So say no to depression, speak to someone if possible.

There ways to avoid depression as an enterprenure
1. Do not be depress by the activities of your opponent
2. Always do the needful
3. Never allow your past to affect your presence.

The very best way to avoid depression is to avoid the cause of depression. You do the right thing at the right time and you out in place all the necessary things. Like employing qualified and competent hands to work with among many things.

As an entrepreneur you must have good risk management so that you can able to know when your business is running to a loss so that you can know the measures you can take also you should also have good interpersonal communication with your costomers and workers.

Depression is a dark and lonely place to be in no matter what someone does for a living. Entrepreneurs face a unique set of challenges when depressed. That's because for many entrepreneurs, their personal health is reflected in their business health.

When you're depressed, you're not productive. When you're not productive, your business suffers. When your business suffers, your depression deepens. And the cycle continues and can become more insidious with every iteration.

Entrepreneurs know that their business successes are personal successes -- and their business challenges are personal challenges. The phrase “it’s not personal; it’s business” doesn’t apply to them. And so a personal struggle like depression leads to business challenges, including lost revenue and team conflicts.

So how can business leaders reach the light at the end of the depression tunnel and avoid toxic triggers?

1. Find a safe space.​

Part of what gives depression its power is the shame -- and the need to conceal those feelings. Brené Brown speaks eloquently about how vulnerability can eradicate shame. Seeking therapy is always a good idea for someone suffering with depression.

Having an entrepreneurial support system isn’t a bad idea either. Mastermind groups can be a safe place to share business and personal struggles. The fellow entrepreneurs in a mastermind group may have a deep understanding of the issues you're facing and can provide keen insights for solutions.

2. Close the gap.​

It’s natural for entrepreneurs to chase the horizon. But when you’re in a depressed state, the horizon seems further and further away.

What once was a lofty goal turns into an unachievable, daunting odyssey. Dan Sullivan, the founder of Strategic Coach in Toronto, teaches a very powerful lesson that helps turn the tables on this phenomena. He calls it "closing the gap." In essence, an individual shifts his or her perspective from looking forward to looking backward.

In depression, you tend to focus on everything you haven’t achieved and focus solemnly on where you think you should be.

Instead, practice the act of looking back, acknowledging and celebrating what you have accomplished. Observe and appreciate every step, big or small, that you’ve taken traveling on the path toward your vision.

With this practice, you'll see that you're closer to your goals than your depression wants you to believe. Closing the gap will give you positive, motivating fuel to take more action.

3. Go on an information fast.​

If you have ever been bombarded with Facebook posts about one person's success, followed by another and another, then you might understand that sometimes those "uplifting" and "motivating" posts can have the opposite effect, especially for someone with depression.

Sure, those posts and articles can help individuals see what's possible and provide motivation for stepping up their game. On the other hand, if you're suffering from depression, those posts could trap you in a detrimental comparison mindset. You might think, "Look, there’s another person who’s killing it and I’m still stuck.They must be special. I must be broken."

Sometimes the best thing to do is to remove yourself from such triggers. Unplug from Facebook. Don’t read those posts. Perhaps, you need to turn away from consuming information so that you can have the space for producing.
  • Exercise. Take a 15- to 30-minute brisk walk every day — or dance, jog, or bike if you prefer.
  • Nurture yourself with good nutrition. Depression can affect appetite.
  • Identify troubles, but don't dwell on them.
  • Express yourself.
  • Try to notice good things
[automerge]1612355793[/automerge]
Depression is a dark and lonely place to be in no matter what someone does for a living. Entrepreneurs face a unique set of challenges when depressed. That's because for many entrepreneurs, their personal health is reflected in their business health.

When you're depressed, you're not productive. When you're not productive, your business suffers. When your business suffers, your depression deepens. And the cycle continues and can become more insidious with every iteration.

Entrepreneurs know that their business successes are personal successes -- and their business challenges are personal challenges. The phrase “it’s not personal; it’s business” doesn’t apply to them. And so a personal struggle like depression leads to business challenges, including lost revenue and team conflicts.

So how can business leaders reach the light at the end of the depression tunnel and avoid toxic triggers?

1. Find a safe space.​

Having an entrepreneurial support system isn’t a bad idea either. Mastermind groups can be a safe place to share business and personal struggles. The fellow entrepreneurs in a mastermind group may have a deep understanding of the issues you're facing and can provide keen insights for solutions.

2. Close the gap.​

If you have ever been bombarded with Facebook posts about one person's success, followed by another and another, then you might understand that sometimes those "uplifting" and "motivating" posts can have the opposite effect, especially for someone with depression.

Sure, those posts and articles can help individuals see what's possible and provide motivation for stepping up their game. On the other hand, if you're suffering from depression, those posts could trap you in a detrimental comparison mindset. You might think, "Look, there’s another person who’s killing it and I’m still stuck.They must be special. I must be broken."

Sometimes the best thing to do is to remove yourself from such triggers. Unplug from Facebook. Don’t read those posts. Perhaps, you need to turn away from consuming information so that you can have the space for producing.
  • Exercise. Take a 15- to 30-minute brisk walk every day — or dance, jog, or bike if you prefer.
  • Nurture yourself with good nutrition. Depression can affect appetite.
  • Identify troubles, but don't dwell on them.
  • Express yourself.
  • Try to notice good things

Wonderful article, what I do to avoid depression is thinking on what I have achieved instead of thinking on what I should have achieved. These are mostly the triggers of depression. Sometimes I look back and see my mate doing well in life, some of my mates building houses, getting married all looking wonderful but at this time I also do not look at those mate of mine that are even doing more badly than I am doing so what I do do to cure myself of depression is to also know that I am also bigger and better than some people, so this is what that help me.

To avoid stress and depression you can Listen to your favorite music and also Engage in positive self-talk· Moreso, Meditate and breathe well and do some Exercise. You can as well Listen to helpful podcasts ·

Entrepreneurs may hear “fake it until you make it” and “defeat imposter syndrome” more than the average person. Many people only notice entrepreneurial success — the money, the cars, the new office. But what they don’t see are the sacrifices entrepreneurs make to create success — likely for years. Many people don’t see the mental health problems that occur in entrepreneurs — like depression and anxiety. It becomes crucial to battle anxiety and depression as an entrepreneur.

There will be many dark times in your entrepreneurial journey, where it seems like the sun won’t come out, you must not give up but above all you must have a network of people who are in the same space, who have walked that path to help you through the journey before the morning comes. We humans are social beings, it is easier for us to go through things knowing that it is common to all.

To avoid depression as an entrepreneur, you will need to:
1. Avoiding living above your business means. Living above your business means is actually dipping hands into your capital instead of its profit.
2. Try as much as possible not to run of stocks, most especially that particular brand/product that you're known for.

You say well and made a point, the article is usefulness. As a entrepreneur if there's anything going wrong that can cause depression, you must to know how to control the depression, because it's very dangerous. If depression catched a entrepreneur it will affect a business.

From my experience, debt and becoming bankrupt is one of the easiest ways to slip into depression. It is so powerful that you won't even realize how deep you have fallen with both your mind and your soul. It's why business men are advised to always try as much as they can to avoid being in too much debt.

Depression is a part of the experience in business, and it can determine your future as a business person. So make up your mind that wjen depression comes, it's a normal thing and you must know how to deal with it.
1)Get a mentor in business
2) Look for people in business who have been there before they can be your friend.
3) Study Extensively on risk in business
4) Understand the risk of depression on your health
5) Count your blessings, while you are regretting not achieving much, you also need to look at the fact that what as brought you thus far needs to be celebrated, many have not Even taken the risk you are/have taken.

1. Find a safe space.​

2. Close the gap.​

Great points. Depression is such a dangerous thing for entrepreneur. It's something all business people should try at all cost to avoid. It's consequences on any business is fatal.

Take time taken
You are not your business. It’s just something you are experimenting with for a part of your journey. It’s not the essence of your DNA and identity. Hire great people. Give yourself a break when you need it. Take a day, weekend, week, or even two months if you need it. That’s a lot better than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds