Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

You're not unique, are you?

Jason

Legendary member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Some people are critical of this stuff. In fact, Fox News even did a story criticizing Mr. Rogers. :D Anyway, other critics are George Carlin and your neighborhood Marine drill instructor.

O.K., my take on this is not totally one way or the other. I see major damage coming from exalting everyone's self esteem, but on the other hand, people can get so crushed that won't even go out and try to make a bold move. For instance, if someone doesn't try out for the team in middle school, will they ever be in the NBA?

Thread question is a non-sequitur from the thread title: uniqueness is basically a given because literally no one will see the world and react to the world the way you will at any given moment in time. In any case the existence of an exact duplicate would presuppose a violation to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and redefine our understanding of quantum mechanics in its entirety.

Also multiple faulty premises raised in the thread question: exalting someone’s self esteem does not guarantee causation of damage to a psyche (logical fallacy; correlation is not causation, and exceptions exist, in practice there are almost certainly other states and behaviours persisting in the environment alongside the exalting that would cause at least as much damage, few such things exist in total isolation)

Not trying out for a single opportunity does not negate future possibilities: if someone doesn’t try out *at all* during middle school, it is unlikely but not impossible, but one assumes they must be in training anyway for the future in the NBA to materialise. The tryout is an event in isolation, other behaviours must exist around it to support the possible future - if no training, no team practice (irrespective of tryouts), that NBA future is otherwise unlikely because not trying out doesn’t change all the other patterns of behaviour that must necessarily exist. Including but not limited to being noticed by the coach and/or talent scouts.

Honestly, causality is so much more complex and interesting than reducing it to the most intellectually limited outcome.

It honestly doesn't surprise me that Faux News criticized the nicest man who ever lived, they don't like anything that is "woke" and he'd certainly be woke in their eyes. Anyways, every single person in the universe is unique to an extent. You are your own person, every one here has different views on life, heck on anything really. It would be impossible to find someone who is exactly the same as you. Sure you will come across those who share the same values, and views of life as you but you are an unique individual. I think those who say that "you're not special" or "you're not unique" are those who are cowards, those who fear those who are different than them, they don't like change and can't grasp that the world around them is constantly changing.

Faux News
Fox News would criticise anyone if they thought it would get them people watching and monetising any advertising because that's what it's really about, the profit that can be made. It also has nothing to do with uniqueness.

In a biological perspective we are unique creature. We all have unique genetic combination.

In a biological perspective we are unique creature. We all have unique genetic combination.
What about genetically identical twins that are literally split from the same egg + sperm?

It honestly doesn't surprise me that Faux News criticized the nicest man who ever lived, they don't like anything that is "woke" and he'd certainly be woke in their eyes. Anyways, every single person in the universe is unique to an extent. You are your own person, every one here has different views on life, heck on anything really. It would be impossible to find someone who is exactly the same as you. Sure you will come across those who share the same values, and views of life as you but you are an unique individual. I think those who say that "you're not special" or "you're not unique" are those who are cowards, those who fear those who are different than them, they don't like change and can't grasp that the world around them is constantly changing.
My opinion is mixed. People aren't born without imperfection, but certainly every baby is a treasure. Well, given that idea, I wouldn't spoil a kid, but I wouldn't smash his spirit either. I think this is the way most parents have seen kids thru history, Mr. Rogers wasn't "unique" in the idea.

Case in Point: I'm no angel, but I have unique talents and sensitivity. I can't hide badness by covering it up with good.

What about genetically identical twins that are literally split from the same egg + sperm?
Genetically identical twins share physical characteristics but they have unique behavior. They even have different fingerprints.

That sort of contradicts itself, doesn’t it? What it proves is that you can have the same base DNA and grow up physically similar but variance happens.

Oh and that behaviour is mostly learned rather than inherent. Funny that, that changes a lot of things.

You are, if not biologically than for sure from circumstance. Though when it comes to collectives, crowds... mobs, that can mostly stop being relevant very quickly.

Yeah... let's talk about that 0.5% possibility in life. Think we can delve deeply into that consideration of that level of minutia.
Now let's not even get into the realm of the different societal impacts each can have that are different from the other.
Just because one has the same "base genetics" does not mean that one will be the same as the other... to belive otherwise is a pursuit in fallacy.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds