Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Will you remove inactive forum members?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Will you ever remove inactive forum members from your community?

Is there ever an appropriate time to practice this?

Do you think it can be used to get inactive members to become active again? You'd email them that their account will be removed and then hope they become active.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Personally, I don't think I would unless somehow inactive member accounts were becoming a resource hog.

Advertisement Placeholder
Never seen the point personally, I don't really see the benefits of removing members. Surely a higher member count is another reason for a potential member to join? Who knows.

Not unless they are causing an unwanted load on the database. In most cases, they are welcome to rejoin the discussions.
If they were, I would think there would be an add-on to "disable" the technical lookup of some of the account until it became active.

I don't know how hard that would be.

It will be a nice feature. Banned accounts, bots, fun registrations, abandoned accounts etc do contribute to DB size. And, it will add to the backup size as well.

Does MySQL store when a particular Record was accessed the last time?

It will be a nice feature. Banned accounts, bots, fun registrations, abandoned accounts etc do contribute to DB size. And, it will add to the backup size as well.

Does MySQL store when a particular Record was accessed the last time?
I just feel like there should be a way to "ignore" "calling those users and groups" aside from general moderation.

But that's beyond my ability.

Someone said there isn't a big hit on XenForo forums so there is no reason to delete members.

To ignore them, you will first need to categorise them. Create a table called inactive_members. But if the info is not fetched, the poster_info area will look odd.

Say Jerry has not posted in the last 2 years, we can ignore fetching their details. But the poster area would have no info to display. There will need another record to replace the inactive member info. Something like a placeholder which is available for Deleted Member, who has no info to show.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds