Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Do you prune 0-posts accounts?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

Cedric

Ex-Captain Junkie
Retired Staff
One of the recurring dilemmas in managing online communities is what to do with those 0-post accounts. You know, the ones that register but never actively participate or contribute to the discussions. It's a question that often sparks debate among community administrators: should we prune these accounts, or should we leave them be?

Let's dive into this contentious issue and share our perspectives. Have you ever faced this situation on your forum, and if so, what did you decide to do? Are you a firm believer in pruning these inactive accounts to keep your community tidy and focused on engaged members, or do you prefer a more inclusive approach, where everyone's welcome regardless of their activity level?

What criteria do you use to determine when an account should be considered inactive? Do you have automated processes in place, or do you review these accounts manually? And what about those rare instances where an inactive member suddenly returns after a long absence – how do you handle that?

So, tell us, do you prune 0-post accounts, and why or why not? :D

If they're still logging in, presumably they're reading posts (and presumably seeing ads if you have ads).

If they're not still logging in, you could nudge the account, reach out in case they just forgot.

Some folks go as far as deleting the account but I tended not to bother just in case. Though with data retention rules that's harder to justify now.

A part of the forum is also for inactive members as there are people who simply register to receive data and that's it, they are not interested in forum dialogue.

Yes, we do. We have a policy that if you have submitted 0 content and have not logged in within the last 6 months, your account may be deleted, freeing up that username for someone else. We probably only do the purge once a year, but those are the parameters for the pruning that we do.

Yeah I regularly prune 0 post account, I understand people lurk but if you don’t make a post within x amount of time it seems unnecessary, considering I don’t limit content to guest view.

If any member has spent days on my forum and they make no post, what is their use? Besides, there is a rule. Any account that is inactive for two months will be deleted.

Inactive isn’t the same as “not posting” - if they haven’t logged in for 2 months, fair game I guess. But if they are logging in, they’re still engaging with the content even if you’re not seeing it.

Which means if, for example, you show ads - that’s people you’re still showing ads to. And who will likely go if the account is terminated.

I've never pruned accounts whatsoever. You never know the intention behind someone registering and if they leave, you never know when their interest may spike again and they'll return. It's also nice to see your statistics with the legit amount of members that have registered and taken interest in the board. I have hidden forums on my board, so people may log in to view the hidden forums and nothing more. I don't have a problem with people who don't post most of my userbase have 0 posts. It's not like my community is private or restricted to those who remain active or have X amount of posts. It's open to everyone who may need to utilize the board to the best of their ability.

I never purge accounts with zero posts, with the thought that they may return at a later date and start posting. I've done so before where I joined a forum, forgot that I joined and after about a month or two I realized that I never made a post so I went back and made some posts.

I feel as though purging "dead" accounts could backfire. I mean, occasionally, I send out an announcement message via email. Those people might come back to check things out. They might have forgotten about your website, or perhaps they've just lost interest in the forum topic. I've usually gone back to sites that I've neglected after receiving an email message just to check on the site. I think by deleting accounts, you're doing yourself a dis-service.

I also don't prune 0-posts accounts, because i don't think, that they are a problem. Some of them visit the forum regularly, so in the future they maybe begin to participate. Some boards or functions in the forum i administer are not available for users with a specific low postcount. That should be enough, to motivate the users to participate. :)

Every few months or so yeah, if I didn't, my member count would be on about 2,000 and not 270ish as it is now. Usually get around 80 online every 24 hours. Would rather it be 80 from 200 odd members rather than 2,000 odd. Statistics wise it looks better and not over inflated.

Yes, I do. If you sign up to my general discussion site and don't make a post within 3 months we will delete your account based on the assumption that you don't want to participate.

Being a small site where a lot of people know each other personally and knowing the inactive members have been invited to the join I don't want to hold personal data (IP, email address etc) of people that don't want to be there.

Every few months or so yeah, if I didn't, my member count would be on about 2,000 and not 270ish as it is now. Usually get around 80 online every 24 hours. Would rather it be 80 from 200 odd members rather than 2,000 odd. Statistics wise it looks better and not over inflated.
That is an interesting take. And I definitely see truth in this.

While you have other admins who genuinely care about the more the merrier. You can see older forums having thousands of members while only having 5-10 online. Okay, you've got a lot of members, but at the same time your forum looks dead.

When I first started, I used to delete inactive accounts especially those with 0 posts. But then I learned of a different point of view. If the member was kind enough to join, who am I to tell them when they have to come on & post. They are always welcomed back.

Might as well. They aren't using the account.
Are you sure? They’re not using it for *posting* but that doesn’t mean they’re not using it for *reading*.

Question: if the user has 1000 posts and hasn’t posted in 10 years, would you delete the account?

Related question, same user hasn’t *logged in for 10 years*, would you delete the account?

And if your answer to these two questions differs from the 0-post case because of the number of posts, why?

Just because a user doesn’t post (irrespective of posting habits), it does not follow that they’re not using the forum.

There is a forum I am on. I get regular upvotes on it from people that haven’t posted in *years*, but still read the forum. Case in point, I have a thread where I blog certain thoughts from time to time, I have a guy who pops in every 3 months or so to catch up on threads and blitzes the upvote button, but his last post was 2015. He last caught up on that blog in September 2023.

Members can still interact, still browse, consume content without posting. And if you show ads, fair chance you‘re showing *them* ads.

I never bothered to do so because I never saw the point in deleting zero posters. If you are routinely deleting zero posters then it is obvious to anyone who been around forums enough to know. You aren't doing anything for your look by doing it so you really shouldn't and if there was someone who was considering becoming active again in your forum then deleting their account might ensure they stay gone.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds