Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What is over-moderation?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
How do you feel about overall forum moderation styles?

Do you feel that some forums over-moderate?

What does over-moderation look like to you?

What moderation techniques are just taking it too far?

Advertisement Placeholder
I think moderators who are constantly talking about rules and prevent good discussion points. I don't see it all that often but when it does happen, it's extremely annoying.

Some really do. I have seen webmasters who don't care about members but use them to their benefit. When there is any voice of disagreement they hit the ban button. It makes us feel like we are in .... North Korea?
I agree.

I only ban when it gets to a point of trolling or bullying. Then I understand it.

But if members don't agree or want to give feedback that isn't positive, that's what makes a community a community in my opinion.

Over-moderation is a good way to kill a forum.

It's also a good way to make people make their own forum. Most of my forums were made because of that!

I have been to a friend's forum once. While the whole atmosphere was nice the staff doubted everyone to revolt the next second. They read your PMs, be aggressive about local groups and so on.

I have been to a friend's forum once. While the whole atmosphere was nice the staff doubted everyone to revolt the next second. They read your PMs, be aggressive about local groups and so on.
There is nothing more that makes me madder than a community that reads PMs.

I'll read something that's been reported but to go read PMs on a whim is wrong. It almost makes me feel like a Correctional Officer reading inmate mail. That's acceptable in confinement but a forum is not confinement.

Over-moderation used to be common on larger forums in the early days, but it is so unnecessary now. It's like a self-imposed death sentence. Yes, there are things to keep an eye on, situations where you should step in and say something, and situations where you have to take action; however, if you're shutting down discussion, closing threads or banning members over trivialities, you're giving them every excuse to abandon your forum and look elsewhere. Elsewhere is easy to find, so never take your members for granted.

Last edited:
I like that answer for this question!

You're right about it.

The few forums I've left in modern times have been because of over-moderation.

I think it's a good way to kill your forum, indeed.
Without question, if you micro-manage and fixate on things that just aren't that big of a deal, you're going to very quickly wind up annoying and alienating your users.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds