Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What gives a forum its soul?

KenBrace

Credits
It seems to me that there is one simple thing that really gives the forum a soul.

I'm member on dozens and dozens of forums but most of them seem somewhat empty. The content is decent, the members are nice, the theme is good, etc. but for some reason, I'm just not hooked.

On the other hand there are forums that hook me completely. Those are the ones added to my favorites bar; the ones I check every day and get emotionally involved with. I know the people there and we have long, interesting, and energetic discussions. There's nothing better than staying up late debating on a forum with a dozen or so people and filling up 20 pages worth of posts. :p

So what exact is it that gives a forum its soul and how can a webmaster offer this to its members?

I truly believe that this factor is what makes or breaks a forum. People are either anxious to check the forum each day or they are only there for a short time to get some info and then leave. These are the forums that just drag along and then eventually die and collect internet dust.

Thoughts?

Advertisement Placeholder
It is all about people coming together that are passionate about the topics of your forum. A forum is nothing without common interests. Here, we love web design, web development, and/or blogging. So through common interests, relationships and friendships are formed; thus the soul.

I think the community is the soul part of any forum. You either have a great community or a really bad community. Imho, I feel this forum has a great community. *blush*

I believe it's the community, and friendship between members that gives a forum its soul. That is what often keeps people coming back. If members don't get along well with each other, or if they don't make any friends on the forum, they're likely to eventually leave.

I feel like it is the community as a unit. Like when you take a group of people who speak on a sometimes daily basis, they feed from each other. It is kind of like an ant colony. Even the smallest of ants that rarely come in the hill make the community better.

It's the community that is imperative to have a successful community, but it's also the drive of the Staff as well, and especially the owner. The owner takes all faults ultimately and is normally the creator of the forum. At this point, the owner should never give up, lest that become noticeable to both staff and member and that could hurt the forum. If an owner is not motivated, why should I post when he won't do the work? But the staff must also post and pull the weight.

I think my current forum sold it's soul to the devil LOL!! I am trying to get it back. This forum has such good potential once I get it going again.

It's definitely the community that you build that gives a forum its soul. It would almost be like having a chatroom and getting really great people. Back in the day, there were chatroom websites that had some really awful people. Awful people attract other awful people but good people attract other good people.

The level of creativity it's on (how unique and much it stands apart from others) as well as the soul of the webmaster behind it.

Pun intended.

The power of a forum depends on the amount of quality conversations between its members. Active members who create new discussions daily about various subjects can be the soul of a forum. ;)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds