Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What does your family think of you running forums?

Advertisement Placeholder
@Shawn Gossman I swear, I had the idea to make this thread this morning. You beat me to it.

Anyways, they are very supportive and ask how it's going on fairly regularly basis. They don't have the intention to join but they understand what I'm doing. :)

@Shawn Gossman I swear, I had the idea to make this thread this morning. You beat me to it.

Anyways, they are very supportive and ask how it's going on fairly regularly basis. They don't have the intention to join but they understand what I'm doing. :)
Mine don't really understand what forums are.

My girlfriend hasn't really got into computers past her smart phone. She mainly just does social. But she knows I like them and she'd glad I enjoy them.

Most of my non-forum friends and family don't understand what they are.

I literally met my wife on the SMF support community, so we definitely talk about forums... my wider friends, though, mostly don't care. Forums just aren't their speed, and that's OK.

I literally met my wife on the SMF support community, so we definitely talk about forums... my wider friends, though, mostly don't care. Forums just aren't their speed, and that's OK.
Did you live far from each other when you’ve met? Or did one of you had to come live closer/together?

Wow, Pete! I had no idea you got married. Congrats!

I met my soon to be wife through my online activities. Not forums, but through my hiking brand which probably started out from my interest in forums since forums essentially got me into making websites way back in the stone ages.

Yep, same here. None of my family and/or friends even know what a forum is.
I don't even try to explain it.

I tell them it's like Facebook but way smaller and less dramatic. That's always my cue to get them interested in joining, LOL.

Back when I first started the general chat forum that I had to let go in 2017 due to hosting prices increasing and me not having the funds to cover it, my Mum and Dad were very supportive of me having a forum and that I was doing something that I enjoyed. They were both members on my forum and would be active and my Dad even became a moderator on my forum to be able to help me out with the forums when I was busy say with my kids and such.

Back when I first started the general chat forum that I had to let go in 2017 due to hosting prices increasing and me not having the funds to cover it, my Mum and Dad were very supportive of me having a forum and that I was doing something that I enjoyed. They were both members on my forum and would be active and my Dad even became a moderator on my forum to be able to help me out with the forums when I was busy say with my kids and such.
Such a beautiful family. I had help from my brother when I began working on ForumWheel. That was the starting point of my writing career and it wasn't easy for me.

When I tried explaining to my mother what a forum is and how I'm engaged in with it, it was very difficult for her to understand it. She simply concluded that it's just another branch of social media sites like Facebook and the rest.

It is difficult to explain to parents especially when they have not been on a forum before. This is the challenge with owning a forum where you need financial help from your parents.

It is difficult to explain to parents especially when they have not been on a forum before. This is the challenge with owning a forum where you need financial help from your parents.
I convinced my mom to send a check to basically an acquaintance at the time to become a moderator on his chat room. It was to support this friend, and had no issue. This is back on eBay when you could mail checks and/or money orders as a payment method. I am still friends with this person despite him not being as active on the web as he used to. I stayed on as a chat moderator till the site basically shut down.

My mother is the last person on earth that's going to give you a penny of hers to invest in something that she doesn't understand. It would be like trying to force a horse you brought to a stream to drink water.

My mother is the last person on earth that's going to give you a penny of hers to invest in something that she doesn't understand. It would be like trying to force a horse you brought to a stream to drink water.

This was my experience too. It is not easy to get financial support from them especially when it is something that they don't think it will be of great benefits to you in the future.

This was my experience too. It is not easy to get financial support from them especially when it is something that they don't think it will be of great benefits to you in the future.
You can get something off my dad more easier than you can do with my mother. It's why I don't ever waste my time trying to get something from my mother. She would ask you all the questions in the world and still not give you the money 😂.

You can get something off my dad more easier than you can do with my mother. It's why I don't ever waste my time trying to get something from my mother. She would ask you all the questions in the world and still not give you the money 😂.
Moms are difficult beings when it come to collecting something from them. They will want to do everything to make you know that getting a dime from them is never easy.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds