Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General What do free hosted forums say to you?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.
Since it's basically impossible for me to go to a website without looking at the source I appreciate finding free hosted sites in the wild as a learning exercise.

I know the website owner didn't write the code and probably just uses stock software with themes and addons, so what can I learn from this so called low quality host that attracted a low-tech person to get an entire website setup and running?

The answer could be as simple as "it's free!" but somebody has to pay for it, so value is being created somewhere.

If I stop to not think about any of that, it doesn't matter anyway. I use the Internet like a junkie and want my brain to swell with dopamine when I open up my favorite sites.

The fact I'm on Blogspot to read one of my favorite author's blog is irrelevant to that process.

As someone who uses free hosting as a hobby and a hobby only, I am overall pleased with what I have available at my fingertips. Luckily, I know JavaScript, and that's how I customize my board to make it much more unique. I don't like subscribing to things or renewing licenses and whatnot because it's a constant drain from your pocket, and I don't have that type of money to deal with.

I think if the forum software has a good reputation for many years and has done well for itself, then I think it can be just as credible as paid hosting. I would be a little leery about trying a "new" free hosting software because I don't think it has built up enough credibility to be something people look towards.

A lot of people put down free hosting because they think it lacks features or the ability to customize or be in control of it to a greater extent, which may be true, but for those less fortunate to not have the money to constantly pay for all the necessities of paid hosting, it can be a relieving feeling to know there is free hosting available to those that just want a basic forum and does not necessarily care about all the bells and whistles it has.

If your content is of good quality to the niche of your board, then something basic is not necessarily to be looked down upon since content is mainly what keeps people coming back to forums, but of course, there are multiple factors involved.

I'm not dissing those who choose platforms like Forumotion or ProBoards, but my experience with Forumotion, at the least was that you have you're hands tied, but I don't think it's as much that way with ProBoards, but I haven't tried to use their service as an admin.

Anyway, obviously, I don't think all these services are the same, but maybe Forumotion is better than I think. Maybe I'm not using things correctly.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Unread Posts

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations