Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Using Forums Just as a Hobby

That makes sense because we do spend money on most of our hobbies. I'm just a poor man right now, and I know nothing about the backend side of things, which is probably one reason I've always stuck with already-hosted forum platforms.
This is why I also like free-hosted forums as well as it gives people the chance to own forums as a hobby and not be held back by not knowing much about the backend of specific forum software.

Advertisement Placeholder
Even when I was making a bit of money on my forum, I always used mybb, which is free. It's bad enough we have to pay for hosting. If I made a ton of money, then I might look into the paid ones, where I could further customize. Not there yet, I'm afraid.

Same here. Even back when I was installing vB or MyBB on a server, everything was aleways ready for me to install and set-up everything. But after a while, it became frustrating so I went back to free hosting. Another reason because of which I went back to free hosting is that the people that I teamed up with basically betrayed me and instead of promoting the licensed version of what became our board, they ended up prmoting the free-hosted version of it, saying that I created a hostile enviroment. But that wasn't true. So I went back to the free-hosted version of the board and terminated the affiliation with them. They ended up deleting the licensed version and I ended up banning & deleting them from the free-hosted version, whcih did last for a whle longer.

That makes sense because we do spend money on most of our hobbies. I'm just a poor man right now, and I know nothing about the backend side of things, which is probably one reason I've always stuck with already-hosted forum platforms.
That's very correct. There's no way something would be a big hobby of yours and you won't spend money on it. It's just what happens with my gaming hobby. I will always spend on it.

I've put money to forum contests and I think I paid half of the xenoforo license when we moved to Xenforo (maybe not idk). I know I've paid for a domain a time or two. Forums have definitely been a hobby a long time - while others put money into buying new things towards their hobbies, I would find it similar. If it is a new hobby though - just beginning in the forum world, I would highly recommend starting on a free one to see if it is worth it to you. There is nothing wrong with these free platforms, but kind of like others have said some of the features of paid ones are incredible and are difficult to replicate on a free one.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds