Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

USB backup or Cloud storage?

Jay1

Recognized member
Credits
For many years I've used USBs for everything and still to this day have piles of them around however I use the cloud for everything now as I have access to them on all devices whenever I need, I think using a USB for backups will be a thing of the past very soon.

What do you use?

Advertisement Placeholder
I used to always use USB devices to backup whenever I needed to but with cloud storage now being a thing I tend to use that more now than USB storage. I do still from time to time backup on USB just to be on the safe side though especially if it is something I really do not want to run the risk of losing.

I think they do. They will warn you if you store media files. All file storing services do something thing called file audit, which is more or less reading our files, minor or major.

I think they do. They will warn you if you store media files. All file storing services do something thing called file audit, which is more or less reading our files, minor or major.
Exactly! It's why I would never trust any of such programs. It's Google that I don't know what to do with because there's no way I would be able to avoid having they spy on me as I can't stop using the it programs/products.

I've been wrestling with the USB vs. cloud storage dilemma myself lately. I think it really boils down to what works best for your needs. USBs are handy for quick transfers and that peace of mind of having something physical.

I'd only do this if I set up a home server that I hosted myself with high security that made it hard to access from anyone but me.

I would never trust some company with my data even if it was highly encrypted on my end. The old adage, "if you can't hold it you don't own it" is true in the digital era as it has ever been.

If it's a smaller company you risk them going belly up and losing access to your files. If it's big like Google, you could easily be banned and lose access.

Use a NAS, pick up a halfway decent cloud for off site backup. Proton's convenient when I pay for 500gb anyway. Password-zip the cloud uploads if you're paranoid. Do not depend on single copy USB.

I am still using USB backup. With cloud backup, you would always need a data connection for you to download and access your files. That's the advantage that a USB backup has over a cloud backup.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds